Hero calls [$4].
Villain raises [$95].
martinc59 folds.
soapwith folds.
nico7777 folds.
Hero folds.
Villain does not show cards.
Villain wins $182

Looks like it was a pretty obvious steal, I almost shoved when the action got to me actually. But anyhow I figure he's in the mood to try to shove the table around and probably is feeling his oats... this comes into play on next hand:

$400 PL Omaha Hi/Lo
Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 10

Seat 7: HotTotty ( $398 )
Seat 9: Johny9ball ( $543.60 )
Seat 3: Hero ( $339.40 )
Seat 4: MikeBklynAk ( $229.90 )
Seat 5: EthansMyBoy ( $391.50 )
Seat 8: martinc59 ( $152.70 )
Seat 6: Villain ( $479.50 )
Seat 10: TwisterTyke ( $92 )
Seat 2: nico7777 ( $353 )
Seat 1: soapwith ( $374 )
TwisterTyke posts small blind [$2].
soapwith posts big blind [$4].

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Ad As Ac Jc ]

nico7777 calls [$4].
Hero calls [$4].
MikeBklynAk folds.
EthansMyBoy calls [$4].
Villain raises [$20].
HotTotty folds.
martinc59 folds.
TwisterTyke folds.
soapwith folds.
nico7777 calls [$16].
Hero calls [$16].
EthansMyBoy calls [$16].

** Dealing Flop ** [ Th, 9c, 3d ]

nico7777 checks.
Hero checks.
EthansMyBoy checks.
Villain bets [$60].
nico7777 folds.
Hero raises [$263].

Routine? Or anyone not like this?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: PLO8 $400 vs. LAG

That's why LAGs can win big bucks. You almost shoved with a gutshot, and then did shove with just an overpair. If he snaps you once with the goods it'll pay for the times he folds without them. In the latter hand, I think it might be worth a shot, but it sucks having almost no redraw of any kind. Of course, playing AAAJ in PLO8, you threw out most chances for a flop with redraws. I like the idea of playing back at him, but I'd have probably been more patient than making that stand with AAAJ OOP. Of course, I only play $25-100 tables and am relatively new.

Curious how it worked out.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's why LAGs can win big bucks. You almost shoved with a gutshot, and then did shove with just an overpair. If he snaps you once with the goods it'll pay for the times he folds without them.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a good point, but I fail to see the connection between my almost-shove in the first hand and his LAG strategy working to perfection or whatever. The first hand would've been a play against the table, having nothing to do with Villain in particular.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:25 AM

Not sure how "g" in the LAG he can be with stats like that...I haven't seen any ring players in either game who are long term winners with a VIP over 60.

Anyway, to the hand in question I think the problem with making the play is that you need some draw backup. The idea combination is a hand that may be infront, some passing equity (maybe imagined) and a good draw just in case.

I have some examples of this on you-know-where here and here
Old 10-08-2005, 09:24 AM

If you feel he's on a steal, push as much money as you can into the pot. That's a major way of making money at this game. Of course I've done that into the nuts before with my entire stack, but oh well.
Also, AAAJ? Don't know if it's worth the 4 bucks preflop, especially not raise.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:58 PM

I think he folds > 50% of the time here, so it might be a good move. Of course, though, your pot odds are much worse than this. If he has a hand, he raises you allin and (I assume) you would call. There's also a bit better chance that he has a reasonable hand, since you hold almost all of the aces -- he very well may be playing a high wrap.

Unless you are afraid villain is leaving the table soon, I'm not sure why you don't wait for a quality hand to play preflop. I'd play this hand for kicks for $4, but it's not worth a raise. The flop is about the best you can reasonably hope for (in hope that your aces are good), so might as well give it a shot.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, to the hand in question I think the problem with making the play is that you need some draw backup. The idea combination is a hand that may be infront, some passing equity (maybe imagined) and a good draw just in case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

I mean if he calls or raises, you are drawing dead you know, he is lag, but still at least do it with some sort of something.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:53 AM

What does the "g" stand for?
Old 10-10-2005, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What does the "g" stand for?

[/ QUOTE ]
Grumpy. From what I know there are several different kinds of LAs.

LAG: Loose Aggressive Grumpy - these guys are like a bear with a sore tooth, look out. They'll pot every street as quickly as possible, so be sure you have the nuts.

LAB: Loose Aggressive Bored - an otherwise good player who got bored a few orbits ago and is looking for action. Will fold to pressure. Optimal strategy is to play back at them hard with anything.

LAM: Loose Aggressive Mouse - 'churchy' or weak tight who's trying to be a LAG. They're awful players and often give away their hand, so watch closely for reads. Optimal strategy is to raise with semi decent hands and draws, fold the rest.

LAA: Loose Aggressive [censored] - These guys have a ton of money and like throwing it around and dominating the table. They are incredibly dangerous but also incredibly profitable. Say hello to variance.

LAT: Loose aggressive Tilter - These guys just got sucked out on a couple of times, and they're entitled to the next pot, damnit! This type can be identified by looking for 'lol' in the chat box following a bad beat, and possibly abusive and/or instructive chat.

Best strategy against this type is to isolate reraise them, and let them bet off their chips. They especially dislike being checkraised all in, and will call with anything to prove they're not intimidated. Don't wait too long as this type will either lose their money fast or double up through a suckout and go back to watching "Barely Legal Gang Bangs #10" and playing like a rock.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:28 PM

Hand 1 is a routine fold on the flop, and Hand 2 is a routine fold preflop. I dont know, maybe Im missing something here? What do you expect to make with AAAJ? Only thing I see with your hand is the very slight possiblity of AJ combo straight or a club flush.