Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Interesting 30/60 hand

From memory, since the hand history didn't come through for some reason. Interesting decisions on every street. I think it's fair to say that my play improved on every street. I think and hope this will generate a lot of discussion.

Party 30/60 10 Handed

HERO dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in SB

UTG+1 (slightly LAGgy) raises, slightly loose MP calls, loose button calls, HERO in SB calls, BB folds

FLOP: [8 SB] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

HERO bets, UTG+1 raises, MP folds, button calls, HERO calls.

TURN: [7BB] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

HERO bets, UTG+1 calls, button calls

RIVER: [10 BB] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

HERO bets . . .

RESULTS LATER
Old 05-20-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Interesting 30/60 hand

I hope the result is interesting, because I don't like this play one bit.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:47 AM

I don't understand betting the flop so you can get raised, cause you know that's what's gonna happen.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:50 AM

I figured there was a good chance I'd get raised on the flop; that's one of the reasons I bet it. I wasn't sure whether a raise from UTG+1 would +EV, but I was pretty sure it wouldn't be -EV, all things considered (and there are a bunch of things to consider here).
Old 05-20-2005, 10:57 AM

On a flop like this, even with a raise from someone, you can't count on getting heads up with someone. It's easy to forsee this as a multiway pot on the turn even with a raise (they've already shown they like to call), and your hand isn't good enough for that kind of action.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:58 AM

This is a joke. Your bluffing into the turn+river with no legitimate draw. If you think that a big ace is folding your crazy. If you think that a pair is folding your crazy. I hope i see you at the tables.....
Old 05-20-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a joke. Your bluffing into the turn+river with no legitimate draw. If you think that a big ace is folding your crazy. If you think that a pair is folding your crazy. I hope i see you at the tables.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I love posts like this. Low on thought, high on venom.

There's a lot going on in this hand. I'm not saying my play was right, but it I'm pretty sure it wasn't that wrong. IMHO there's a lot to be learned from the decisions that this hand forced me to make, both looking at individual streets, but also, and more importantly, looking at the play of the hand as a whole, from the perspective of all three players.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:03 AM

yuck. If I was gonna play I'd raise PF because I'd want BB out. As it is, he folded anyway but you gave him 9:1 to come along for the ride.

I might also achieve a check-around on a missed flop by people fearing a check-raise.

I check-call the flop. I check-fold the turn. Your gutshot is weak because it might make someone else a bigger straight, and/or a flush and/or a boat. So I think you need all of the odds to call a turn bet (~11.5:1) which you don't have. Your ace may be outkicked so I wouldn't rate that out as much of an out (it will cost you as often as it gains).

Well done if you got them to fold. I wouldn't be here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be here

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a more than fair point. I think the preflop call was marginal, as was the flop play. I'm not sure either was bigtime -EV, but possibly -EV nonetheless. That said, though, I think the turn and river play, especially when viewed in light of the way the whole hand played out, were right on the money.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:38 AM

UTG can easily convince himself that you're betting a gutshot/diamond draw the whole way ... giving him an excuse to call down with a better A or pocket pair. The button is probably drawing and missed, but could easily be calling down with an 8 or 6.

Nobody believes anyone at Party 30/60. If they can put you on a hand that they beat, they'll call down. Nobody is going to believe that you have the T, and they'll call down with any pair just for spite.

This hand reeks of FPS.