Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 06:21 PM

Default chip tricks

One of the reasons I like B&M is because I get to watch the players be silly. 4/8 Limit at the Trop. I'm in seat 10, three guys are in 7,8 & 9. Guy in 9 has hoodie, Ipod and dark glasses. He didn't say one word except to check or bet. The guys in 8 & 9 could do some really awesome (to me) chip tricks. Shuffling, rolling, really neat sh-t.

The one thing these guys couldn't so was play cards. They stacked out in an hour or so, losing most of their chips to a guy so old he needed a walker but could play.

7 & 8 left bemoaning the fact that limit really sucked. #9 just tightened up his hoodie and left.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: chip tricks

[ QUOTE ]
three guys are in 7,8 & 9...Guy in 9 has hoodie...The guys in 8 & 9 could do chip tricks...7 & 8 left bemoaning...#9 left.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to use LivePokerTracker...

-ZEN
Old 11-08-2005, 07:28 PM

One thing I always tell new poker players is that you should never confuse experience with skill. Its one of the unique things about poker (that you can play it for 30 years and still suck) and one of the reasons it's such a great game.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:28 PM

Yeah, I only shuffle cause of the ADD.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:33 PM

THe hot brunette at the table with me saturday could do all sorts of cool chipy things. It was distracting cause it was either stare at her or the chips. She kept putting two chips edge-on and squeezing them so they were side-by-side, then popping them up in the middle, and catching them. After she busted out I went over to where she was playing NL and told her I would love to learn to do that one.

I still can't get the chip shuffle down. My fingers refuse to cooperate. But then again, I can't walk and chew gum at the same time either.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:08 PM

Silly online players.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I still can't get the chip shuffle down. My fingers refuse to cooperate. But then again, I can't walk and chew gum at the same time either.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me like 10 hours of practice before I could do the chip shuffle.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:43 PM

I love doing the chip shuffle. I play mostly lower limit games (6/12 and under), so I run into many players who don't know how to do it. It's a great conversation starter as I show folks sitting next to me (not during a hand, of course) how to do it. A friendly table is a loose table, and I like loose tables. Similarly, sometimes someone will see me shuffling a stack and comment that I must be a "pro" or something if I can do that. I just laugh and say, "nah, this just means I spend way too much time losing money playing poker," or, "Well, I have to have something to do when I'm not busy losing money," Inevitably gets a laugh and again, it starts conversation. Light, friendly chit-chat. The more they're talking, the less they're paying attention to cards.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:57 PM

I learned to do the chip shuffle while playing online. I would stack like 5x5 and do it, and then 10x10, etc, while I was on the computer. It took me a few hours to get it down. Yea, it was a noob thing to do, but it gave me something to do when playing live besides mentally taking notes.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just laugh and say, "nah, this just means I spend way too much time losing money playing poker," or, "Well, I have to have something to do when I'm not busy losing money," Inevitably gets a laugh and again, it starts conversation. Light, friendly chit-chat. The more they're talking, the less they're paying attention to cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much the only way doing chip tricks is +EV. Nicely done.