Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Live game question:

Howdy.

I got a question about you guys when it comes to live play, specifically homegame play. Maybe I should post this at the homegame forum, however I'll try it here first. My question is what is your policy about people, specifically newbies, and their reading of THEIR OWN HANDS. I ask this question as it comes from a speicific example.

Me and some buddies organized a heads up tournament and on the second round I was playing vs. a fairly TAG player. Starting w. 50 BB. Stacks were going back and forth for a while, at this point I was about 30-35 BB and he covered. I pick up 85 on the button and call the SB. He raises it 2 more BB and I call reluctantly (not my proudest poker moment, but I had position and felt I could outplay him).

Anyways flop comes 8 5 J

He bets out I raise all in he calls and shows JJ.

Great, drawing basically dead. At this point there was a friend of ours who was dealing for the game, although not a real 'paid dealer' he was just doing it to speed up the game. Villian starts getting restless thinking he is going to get outdrawn (as he has sene a lot of that lately).

Turn is blank.

River is 5.

I have 5s full 8s and he has Jacks full 5s.
Clearly he wins.

BUT, he then asks me how many chips I had left, I told him 15 and he throws over 15 chips and nearly vomits. At this point, I was simply going to take it as he is clearly very stupid to do this, however as soon as I was going to turn the community cards over so that he wouldn't have any second thoughts, the "dealer" tells villian that he actually WON with Jacks full. At this point the villian laughs and goes, "oh yeah, haha ok." and the match was over

What I am asking is say the dealer wasn't there. Should I take this as a win if he gives it to me? I mean, I didn't do anything 'wrong' as long as I don't say anything like 'I win' 'you lose'. Even if I did, isn't it HIS fault for doing this?

Just a silly homegame question

Thanks
Old 12-15-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Live game question:

It isn't the players responsibility to determine the winning hand, this usually falls on the dealer.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:11 PM

we have the same problem in my homegames.... i know its the dealer's responsibility but we put in a policy that you have to know what you are playing with... the better players (me and 2 other guys) agreed that if they are gonna play poker with us they should atleast understand the hands... and its not our problem if they misread the board or something... that's just how we do it... and it turns out people actually look the board closely...
Old 12-15-2005, 08:18 PM

This kind of question comes up on the Home Poker forum pretty often and you probably will get more responses there than in this forum.

I do think it's wrong to scoop a pot you didn't win.

I'd never scoop a pot in a home game if I had the loosing hand. I also don't think I'd do it at a B&M against an unknown either. How'd villian react when he realized you were taking the chips with the worse hand?
Old 12-15-2005, 08:36 PM

Cards speak in any situation.

Friendly home game where I know the people, I play ethically. He has the better hand, he gets the pot.

At a B&M, if villain mucks the best hand, sucks for him, once he mucks his hand, the pot is mine. If he shows down the hand, however, the dealer will award him the pot. If the dealer makes a mistake though I'm damn well taking the chips.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:34 PM

if you never plan on seeing the guy again do whatever your conscience will allow. usually though you want these fish to be around they will stay where they feel surrounded by friends and not assholes or sharks the money you "steal" today may cost you 10 fold in future earnings if he never comes back. moral: never kill the goose that is laying golden eggs.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:01 AM

Depends if you want to be a dick or not. If your going to do this though, you might as well just basedeal to yourself. Screw ethics, just try and win.