Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 08:55 PM

Default 3-betting HU from the BB

I'm wondering what hands and in what situations you guys 3-bet out of the BB when it is HU.

From a non-steal position, I never 3-bet out of the BB. From a steal position, I only 3-bet against weak players, who will give up easily postflop. From a SB open-raise, I am 3-betting an incredibly wide range.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Re: 3-betting HU from the BB

Usually I 3 bet the top 20 percent of hands such as:

44+,A2s+,K9s+,Q9s+,J9s+,T9s,98s,A8o+,KTo+,QTo+.

I know Jason Pohl (guy who wrote some really good HU articles) reccommends 3betting top 18.25 percent of hands which is:

66+,A5s+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs+,ATo+,KTo+,QTo+

So a little tighter than my range. Intrestingly he doesnt 3bet JTo either.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:08 PM

In a HU pot I will pretty much never threebet from the BB. If I have a strong hand I instead call and checkraise most flops.

EDIT: Against a SB openraise I am threebetting an extremely wide range as well. Maybe top 1/3 of hands or so.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a HU pot I will pretty much never threebet from the BB. If I have a strong hand I instead call and checkraise most flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had never considered this, and usually always 3-bet TT-AA, AK, AQ etc.

Care to explain the reasoning?
Old 12-02-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]It makes it very easy to play against you when I know you have one of 6 or so hands.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:44 PM

Kurosh...how does your general 3bet range compared to what I posted above?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:51 PM

There is another way to fix this that doesn't involve calling more.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. I feel like threebetting with a wide range of hands in this spot often makes the pot quite big when I am out of position. Especially against the tricky, aggressive LAGs and TAGs of 10/20 6max, this seems like anything but a good thing to me. Also, since they are so used to getting threebet from the blinds (because twoplustwoers do it constantly) by hands like Ace big and middle to high pocket pairs, it takes some of the edge from their handreading ability. Also, there are certain hands like AK, AQ, AJ that I will throw away after a lot of flops. Let's say the LAG button raises and I have AKo in the BB. If I threebet that is great if I hit the flop, or if neither of us hit the flop, because I take the pot down. But on flops that are just bad for AK, particularly flops with two cards in the playing zone, I am almost forced to bet the flop and against some players the turn OOP. If you play around with pokerstove you will see that AK is a dog to almost any steal raiser's range of hands on this flop. Yet because the pot has been bloated by the preflop action, I am forced to "stab in the dark" at the pot and hope the button has missed the flop as badly as I have. Even if the button has missed the flop as badly as I have, he may decide to call the flop and I will frequently end up having to fold the best hand. So even though I am ahead *some* of the time that flop bet goes in, I don't get to realize my equity.

In addition, I feel that the BB call/flop checkraise is seen as largely a semibluff play with flopped draws. Let's say the button raises with an ace high hand and I call in the BB with QQ, and the flop comes down three rags with a flush draw. I can get my flop checkraise in and get him to call a turn and river bet because of the hand I have represented, whereas he would have no reason to call me down with an ace little if I had threebet before the flop.

Citing specific examples isn't too helpful I guess, but I have experimented with this play a lot and I have really gotten a feel that it is more profitable. It's pretty hard to say for sure in LHE but I think it is definitely an option worth considering.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is another way to fix this that doesn't involve calling more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but do you really want to be threebetting hands like A8s and 77 OOP against tough aggressive players?
Old 12-03-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kurosh...how does your general 3bet range compared to what I posted above?

[/ QUOTE ]Well, like I said, I generally don't 3-bet unless it's SB vs BB. If it's a steal situation and they are a weak player, I 3-bet Ax, K7+, Q8+, J9+ and any PP. If it's SB vs BB, I will 3-bet nearly anything. It depends on how often they are raising my blind and their ability.