Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 05:40 PM

Default TD: rough river betting

The board hasn't had a TD post in awhile so I figured I'd try to spark some discussion. This is a hand that I consider completely normal. What I'm curious about is how people feel about the river bet.

I've been looking for a hand that seems like a close decision for awhile and figured this would be as good as any.

Euri10's TD converter

Hand number: null
Level: $3/$6
Players:
BB($279) seat 0
Hero($72) seat 1
CO($65) seat 2
Button($175) seat 3
SB($449) seat 5

Button at seat 3

SB posts. BB posts.

Hand: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Round 1(0.75BB)

Hero raises. CO folds. Button
calls. SB folds. BB calls. BB takes 2. Hero takes 2. Button takes 2.

Hand: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Round 2(2.75BB)

BB checks. Hero bets. Button
calls. BB calls. BB takes 2. Hero takes 1. Button takes 2.

Hand: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Round 3(4.25BB)

BB checks. Hero bets. Button
folds. BB calls. BB takes 1. Hero takes 1.

Hand: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Round 4(6.25BB)

BB checks. Hero bets. BB calls.

Showdown:
<font color="white">Hero shows T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB mucks J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]</font>
Old 11-05-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: TD: rough river betting

Know anything about opponent? What's your table image? I think it's a feel thing, if I think he'll look me up because I'm gunning it in position I'll just check it behind, but if I think he has respect for me I might take a shot at trying to get him to fold a possible 8 or whatever, even if he calls itll get me action later.

If he likes checkraising I obviously check behind, its my experience that theyll usually lead the river here though instead of that line.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:22 PM

If you've ever played me, it'd be my typical image. Pretty aggressive and possibly a little loose.

Just assume this is a normal 3/6 A-5 player and you'll be pretty much right. He's not done anything special.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:03 AM

the more I play the more I like this play in position.
I used to give him a free card on the turn when he draws 1 and me too but I dont do that anymore and quite systematically bet/bet. You have nothing to lose doing that.
Your opponent has to be pretty passive for that I think because most of the agresive opponents could raise you on the turn and the play is not possible anymore because you know he has you beat and will call.
I guess it s A to 5, I should tell the converter to tell it and the showdown sucks...
Old 11-07-2005, 09:07 PM

I think this is very read-dependent, personally. The reason is that I can see two different, and somewhat mutually contradictory reasons for betting here:

1. Because villain knows you draw one, and since you're at least reasonably likely to have paired, might call you down with basically any no-pair hand here hoping to snap off a bluff. If your image is loose and aggressive, this reason for betting becomes more prominent. I'd like to have seen my opponent show down some very weak no-pair hands though to want to bet this for value.

2. You're trying to fold a 9 or an 8. Again, I want a read on my opponent here.

Against an unknown, this sort of bet qualifies as the ever-confusing "value-bluff," the idea being that you have a reasonable chance of both folding a better hand and getting a call from a worse hand. I'd definitely, though, want to see that my opponent is capable of either pretty tight river folds or pretty loose river calls before I made this bet, though. Your hand does have a lot of showdown value in its own right.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:37 PM

My thought was that opponent "should" usually bet an 8 or better. So, I lose money when he has a 9 or better ten and make it back with face cards and worse tens.

It's a fairly thin bet, but I get some information out of it and set myself up for future bluffs. Obviously, I can't always bet here or else I'm going to open myself up to some interesting counter-strategies.