Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2004, 10:43 PM

Default Shall I buy SS or SS2 ?!?!?

Please help me with this! I have a lot of books and have not time to read every book that is published. So I will probably only have time to read 1 of the books in the near future. That is why I ask this!

My main interest is about Limit, nolimit holdem and tournament play.

My questions:

Is SS2 written so that you can understand everything whithout have read SS before?

Will I miss a lot of good information about my "main interests" if I skip SS and only read SS2 now?

Please do not only tell me that I should use the serch function becaus this has already been answered! I have a already spent 3.5h looking through old post about the subject and could not find my answers. If there is a good answer to my questions then please give me a [censored] link to that answer!

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2004, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Shall I buy SS or SS2 ?!?!?

You can't buy SS2 yet........sooooooo it doesn't really matter.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:41 AM

From what I understand, SS2 requires no knowledge of SS. They both stand completely on their own. It also sounds like SS2's NL cash game section is roughly the same as the SS's NL cash game section. But SS2 includes more games, and updated articles. I don't think you'll miss ANY information if you skip SS and just read SS2.

If I were you, I'd definitely just wait for SS2, or buy different books now, such as theory of poker, holdem poker for advanced players, harrington on holdem (touranment book and NL cash game book), and Small Stakes Hold'Em.

Super system (1 and 2) are better if you are looking for less information about MORE games. If you are specifically only looking for limit, NL and tournament play for holdem, super system (1 or 2) may not be for you. If you think you might expand to games like 7 card stud, omaha, chinese poker, etc, you definitely should get super system then. Pot limit and no limit poker by ciaffone is also a good book you might like.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:16 AM

You don't need the original Super System if you buy SS2. I knew the update was coming out when I bought my copy of SS in August. Reason was the no limit section which many consider the best advice ever written about the game. SS2 has that same chapter, so genuine that even the old terminology isn't updated. Such a disappointment. But there are chapters of Stud hi/lo and Omaha hi/lo which I'm looking forward to. (Just got the book last Friday).
Old 12-14-2004, 06:26 AM

Thanks for the answers!

Then I wait for SS2. I already have the other books ( except Harrington on holdem ) and are reading SSH (and have 2 more books waiting to be read) thats why I feel that I can wait until SS2 will come out in the stores.

And I will probably expand and play other games some day so I think SS2 will be perfect! This was the answer I was hopping for!

Thanks again! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2004, 10:07 AM

I think most of the material in SS but not SS2 is dated, dealing with draw poker, razz, and dated versions of limit holdem and stud hi/low. There is also a chapter by Reese on stud high that was left out.