Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 07:52 PM

Default calling a raise with several callers

i have been having alot of trouble lately deciding how to play semi good hands after there has been a raise and several callers when i am in a late position. the hands i am referring to are KQ,KJ,KT,QJ,QT and maybe AT. the problem is when there are several callers and no reraise that i am sharing cards with everyone else and could be drawing dead except for 2 pair or a straight. on the other hand alot of the time my pair is good and i have position wich allows me to judge the situation better. do u think it would be better to play suited connectors or the hands i have mentioned.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: calling a raise with several callers

[ QUOTE ]
i have been having alot of trouble lately deciding how to play semi good hands after there has been a raise and several callers when i am in a late position. the hands i am referring to are KQ,KJ,KT,QJ,QT and maybe AT. the problem is when there are several callers and no reraise that i am sharing cards with everyone else and could be drawing dead except for 2 pair or a straight. on the other hand alot of the time my pair is good and i have position wich allows me to judge the situation better. do u think it would be better to play suited connectors or the hands i have mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ].

In situations like these I think you clearly want to avoid many of the hands you mentioned. With raisers and callers there is a high likely hood you are sharing cards and in the possibility of making an outside draw, your outs may be serverly discounted. In situations like these, I will sometimes play low pairs or maybe suited connectors like 56 or 67. Your chances of being dominated or have fews out are far less likely.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:24 PM

With the exception of KQ and QJ you'll need to get rid of these if there's a preflop raise, regardless of limpers. You're going to be dominated too many times to show a profit. However, if the hands were suited you'd have a flush redraw and could see the flop with any of these.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:31 AM

i dont beleive that being suited makes a big enough difference in deciding if you call or not
Old 07-17-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont beleive that being suited makes a big enough difference in deciding if you call or not

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's only 5% right? But as miller explains, it's not just 5%. Let's say you have a 5% chance to win without being suited. Then with the suited aspect you have a 10% chance to win.

That means it is twice as strong.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's only 5% right? But as miller explains, it's not just 5%. Let's say you have a 5% chance to win without being suited. Then with the suited aspect you have a 10% chance to win.

That means it is twice as strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus, even if you don't win with a flush, having a flush draw can allow you to continue on in the hand and hit the winner, whereas you would have folded if you didn't have the flush draw.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the hands i am referring to are KQ,KJ,KT,QJ,QT and maybe AT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold all of these if they're unsuited. For now, only play KQ suited, fold the rest of the suited hands. As you get better, you can add in more of them.