Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 08:34 AM

Default AJ Suited - Preflop Raise Question

Alright, this is my first post here. I just wanted to throw this question out there for ya'll.

I play on Bodog.com...anyway, I was in a ring game, and raised to 8x the blind preflop. I was content just to take the 4 limper's blinds if that would have been the case. Anyway, my thinking was raise 4x the blind + 1 for each limper. Hence the 8x.

One person calls.

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

FLOP: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

hmmmm...im liking my position here. i check, he bets fairly small...i call.

TURN: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

hmmmm...the nut flush. he bets a little more...i call.

RIVER: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

he bets...i raise...he reraises...i go all in...he calls.

...and flips over 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for the straight flush. i could NOT believe he called my preflop raise with a 73s. Honestly, I was in disbelief. Bad beats happen, and I've had worse, but this guy's call just boggled my mind. Thoughts?

(oh and worst beat of my life: 4 people left in a $50 SNG. someone reraises me in the big blind...i have QK. i call.

FLOP: Q Q 8

guy goes all in immediatly. i call.
he flips over AK

turn: J

river: 10

to take 4th place. ouch.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: AJ Suited - Preflop Raise Question

what is your position?
What is "he bet small on the flop"?
What is your stack size?
His stack size?
Do you have any read on him?
Does he on you?
Also, when you raise big like that, I'd say from his/her perspective that he put you on a big hand, but likely not a big pair. With a big raise you are saying that you want 1 caller, but not THAT badly. He is 100% certain that his 2 cards are live. Depending on his read on you he might figure that a low flop that hits him huge, like 2 pair or trips, you will be hard pressed to put him on either a 7 or 3 so he essentially has the opportunity to take you whole stack, if he thinks he can outplay you after the flop.

And then again he might have sneezed and called accidentally...

Although this isn't your question, I much prefer a substantial, maybe pot sized raise on the flop because it disguses (and protects) your hand. Your raise tells him you are not afraid of the Ace (so no KK, QQ), so he can only really call with a flush draw. If he has some strange 2 pair or trips I'd expect him to reraise all in to protect it. With the pot so big already, it is unlikely that this reraise could/would be a bluff, and he would want to get the money in while he is sure he is ahead. Granted everyone sees teh all-in semi bluff on big draws, but to do so would be a mistake because he has to figure you will call more than 90% of the time, thus making it not profitable.

Any comments are welcome.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what is your position?
What is "he bet small on the flop"?
What is your stack size?
His stack size?
Do you have any read on him?
Does he on you?

[/ QUOTE ]

i was in the dealer position
our chip stacks were pretty much even
"he bet small on the flop" - double the minimum bet
we both sat down to the table with the max. just 5 or so minutes prior to this hand.
ive played this guy a bunch before...and i agree with what youre saying about my preflop bet exposing what i may have...but 7-3?? ouch. that hurt.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:46 AM

what were your stacks like relative to the blinds?

call out of boredom, maybe to switch things up? Where you went wrong was not raising the flop. It is irrelevent what he calls before the flop because he figures to win your whole stack if he hits and lose nothign more if he misses.

double the BB bet by him is almost appologetic, but again he might have thought that it might be small enough to give him odds( again I counted 9-1), and big enough to act as a blocking bet, causing you to slowplay your hand, represent KK, or QQ perhaps (I figure he felt that any heart was good, in which case, his bet worked perfectly). Either way he is conceding that he is weak and you should bloop him back hard.

What would you have done if he bet the pot into you on the flop?
1/2 pot?
All-In?
Old 05-24-2005, 10:13 AM

Can't really get away from the AJ suited hand. That runner str8 stuff happens alot...

You want to talk about bad beat. playing 6 max 5/10 on party the other day. Folds to me on the sb with A9 suited so i raise to 10. BB reraises to 15, I call. Flop comes A92 to which i bet out and he raises, so I reraise and he caps. turn comes 9 to which I bet out again and it caps once again. At this juncture I thought I had to have the best hand unless this is rounders and he hit "ACES FULL, MIKE"...

The river comes 2 and i lead out again and am raise...i just call thinking he may have quads...well he does...I LOSE...AWESOME
Old 05-24-2005, 10:15 AM

tough to say what id do in retrospect...but with top pair (aces) with a jack kicker, and the nut flush draw with two cards to go...i would have most likely called an all-in bet by him.

like i said before, we each sat down with the maximum buy in for the table within 5 minutes of this hand, so our stacks were fairly even, and around the max. buy in still.

as for your thoughts that "he figures to win your whole stack if he hits and lose nothign more if he misses."...i dont agree. any heart other then the 4 drops, and i still see him playing his flush fairly strong. in which case, he would have lost.

thanks for your thoughts tho, i appreciate it.