Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 05:21 AM

Default A5o in the BB

UTG+1 has been all over the place, don't have a good read on him. SB has been a solid player. This particular hand SB wasn't playing very strong so I was putting him on a low pair or a high card hoping to catch something. My question is at the bottom...

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, SB calls.

River: (5 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5 BB

Is there anything I could have done differently given that I had a small kicker? I felt I made a great play on the turn bet causing the UTG+1 to fold. I wasn't feeling very confident with the A5o, but it held up.

Results in White:
<font color="white"> Seat 2: SB (small blind) showed [8h 9s] and lost with a pair of Eights
Seat 3: Hero (big blind) showed [Ah 5c] and won ($0.95) with a pair of Aces </font>
Old 12-09-2005, 06:06 AM

Default Re: A5o in the BB

bet flop, hand plays differently after that
Old 12-09-2005, 06:07 AM

I bet the flop here with top pair. Against a weak player I would bet the river, but since you describe the SB as a solid player I like the check behind.

Don't post results, it will skew the responses.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I felt I made a great play on the turn bet causing the UTG+1 to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

note: your thought process here is pretty terrible as well. if UTG+1 folded he very likely had a much worse hands with few if any outs against you. why would you want a hand like that to fold?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:30 AM

Yes. You could have bet the flop, the turn AND the river. I would also re-evaluate your decision to post results...it is just toooooo damn tempting not to look.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:43 AM

YOu played this hand weakly. Bet or checkraise the flop, the turn is fine, bet the river.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:30 AM

I would have bet the flop and folded to a raise given the board.

rgb
Old 12-09-2005, 09:18 AM

*grunch*
Flop - With TPLK on the flop I would probably lead out (prepared to fold to a raise)to see where I am. (If the original bet came from your left you might even c/r here to try and eliminate players with A, medium kicker).
Turn - You are not exactly betting on a scare card here; the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] doesn't really make any possible hands (except 2 pair). So really what you are doing is what I usually do on the flop - finding out where you are. By waiting to the turn to do this you gain knowledge that your opponents were weak on the flop, but you also lose a bet. I suspect that (against 3 opponents) you are ahead here more often than not so I would rather get the extra bet on the flop than the extra knowledge.
River - Again the Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] isn't really scary here so I'd probably bet it out. If SB is solid like you say he will probably fold but if he is thinking you are typical low limit fish he might think you have a marginal hand that he can call down (say your 5's vs the 6's he just sucked out).