Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Need A Master Plan...

Hi folks,

I'm about to pick up my limit Hold'em game, haven't played it for a long time. Actually I've been playing mostly Omaha this year and I'm a winning player. The problem is there are very few good games during CET day time and I'd like to add limit Hold'em which of course is more spread.

The thing is I don't really know where to start and not sure about what my expectations should be. I'm hoping to reach at least the 10/20 level, but to be honest I have no idea what it'll take from me. I have a lot questions and I don't expect you guys to write and essay about how to succed, but I'll be thankful to anyone who can contribute some and just help me to fill in a few blanks. OK, here we go:

1. Which level is a good starting point. Overall I have a tight approch to poker and think I have a good grip on the theory but I obviously lack the certain feel for the game.

2. When do I know when to move up? Is it mostly a matter of bankroll or is it advisable to reach a certain "book of wins" so you know you're a winning player at a specific level?

3. How much of a problem is the rake at the lower levels? Can the rake sort of erase your edge?

4. Is there a website to recommend? I think I prefer to play 10-handed. Is a rakeback deal a must?

5. How tough is the competition at let say 10/20? Where does the going gets tough?

6. Is there a certain level where you should change your approach to the game, I mean where the fish are rare and the tricky aggressive players are the standard opponents?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Need A Master Plan...

You should check out kukavichas results in high stakes before you commit.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:45 AM

How do I do that?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:55 AM

You check the winners/losers thread in high stakes and look up the name kukavica.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:02 PM

You mean he's a living proof I should stick to omaha? lol
Old 12-10-2005, 12:11 PM

yeah
Old 12-11-2005, 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Which level is a good starting point. Overall I have a tight approch to poker and think I have a good grip on the theory but I obviously lack the certain feel for the game.

0.5/1 would be a good place to start to get a feel for Hold'em.

2. When do I know when to move up? Is it mostly a matter of bankroll or is it advisable to reach a certain "book of wins" so you know you're a winning player at a specific level?

Move up when you are confident you are outplaying the large majority of players at your current limit, and when you have the bankroll to move up. Or if you're not the type to be confident in your ability, simply take shots at the next level when you banroll permits.

3. How much of a problem is the rake at the lower levels? Can the rake sort of erase your edge?

Rake takes a large cut of your winnings at the lower limits, than the higher limits, but the larger number of very poor players more than makes up for it. You should have a higher winrate at the lower limits, regardless of the rake structure.

4. Is there a website to recommend? I think I prefer to play 10-handed. Is a rakeback deal a must?

This website has all the info you need. Rakeback isn't a must, but if you feel like having upto a free 0.75BB on top of your winrate, then go for it.

5. How tough is the competition at let say 10/20? Where does the going gets tough?

10/20 is where the going starts to get tough. 5/10 has quite a lot of bad players.

6. Is there a certain level where you should change your approach to the game, I mean where the fish are rare and the tricky aggressive players are the standard opponents?

[/ QUOTE ]

You will know what this limit is when you get there.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:32 AM

Whoops... I suck at quoting. Anyway, you get the idea [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]