Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Push this Overpair?

I know I played this hand poorly. I feel as though I should have pushed, but not sure where. I have absolutely no read on villain as this was my first hand at the table, but I felt as though he was trying to push me off my hand. His smooth call of the PF raise is either big cards/connectors that he likes but wants to see a flop as cheaply as possible, or a big pair that he is trying to trap with. What do you think?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

SB ($99.55)
BB ($109.05)
UTG ($116.9)
UTG+1 ($98.5)
MP1 ($88.45)
MP2 ($226.41)
MP3 ($35)
Hero ($100)
Button ($96.8)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5. MP3 posts a blind of $1. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $5, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero (poster) calls $4, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($17.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, MP1 calls $10, Hero calls $10.

Turn: ($47.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $35</font>, Hero calls $35, UTG calls $35.

River: ($152.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $25</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls $25.

Final Pot: $202.50
Old 06-18-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Push this Overpair?

I personally would have played it a bit differently.
Preflop, I would have raised. You're in late position, and you want to thin out the field.
Flop - I think it's a bit weak. UTG bets out, unless he's horrible player, you can rule out higher pp and a two pair. He possibly has TP or probably nothing. MP 1 really could have anything. Either way, you should raise to find out. I'd raise to 35. Calling is a mistake here because you do not want to give free cards. If an overcard appears on the turn, good chance you're beat.
Turn - you're calling a $35 bet into a $82 pot chasing two outs or drawing dead? This again is a raise/fold situation.
River - both players check to you. It's obvious that they are weak IMO. If you think you're behind, just check behind him. If you're ahead, bet at least 1/2 pot to pot.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:05 PM

Easy river push.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:20 PM

Preflop- I like your play here, calling is fine. You have position, and can bet more comfortably on an all undercard flop (which it did).

Flop- I would raise here (does anyone do anything different?)It's draw heavy, and I'm pretty sure that you have the best hand at the moment. I would raise 15-25 more to get a read on what I'm up against. (again, does anyone bet any different?)

Turn- If MP1 leads in to me after I raise the turn, I think its an either reraise or fold situation- if you put him on an overpair, your chasing 2 outs to the river. I don't see the value in calling.

River- easy push, as xorbie said. I'm pretty sure that you'll get at least 1 caller, with 2 opponents in the hand. $25 is too small.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:50 PM

I agree pushing the river here is easy. However, I could see MP1 was weak (he only had $35? left), and I wanted to make sure I got a call, thinking a push would scare them both off, hence only $25.

I was wondering if I should have pushed earlier.