Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-28-2005, 05:18 AM

Default How easy is foxwoods 5/10?

Well, I was going to go to atlantic city and play for a couple of days, had the whole trip planned and stuff, and at the last minute got a vicious stomach flu and had to stay home. Feeling better now, however, and I'm wanting to go to Foxwoods on thursday.
I haven't played online in about a week, and have about $600 for a session at Foxwoods, so I'm thinking about spending a day playing 5/10 there. I've played 2/4 there before back a couple of months ago when I was still doing .25/.50 and .50/1 online, and did pretty good except the rake is hard to beat [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Now that I'm playing 2/4 and 3/6 online and doing well, I thought I'd take a shot at 5/10 at Foxwoods. Is this a good idea, or should I step down to 4/8 or up to 10/20 and play extra tight?

I can lose all $600 no problem, I've got another $700 or so for online playing, but I WOULD like to make some money on this session as easily as possible.

Any thoughts on the difficulty of these games?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: How easy is foxwoods 5/10?

depends on how you want to treat your bankroll. The 4/8 at Foxwoodds ia a typical LP game much like a 1/2 online game. The 5/10 which is a kill game (any pot of $100 or more initiates the kill) can vary for LP to extrememely wild. I've played in it some days where it would be at the 10/20 level for about 2/3 of the hands.

Depending on when you go, it might be easier to get a seat at the 5/10 than at the 4/8
Old 12-28-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can lose all $600 no problem

[/ QUOTE ]

go for it then. it is a very soft game and easily comparable to .5/1 party.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I was going to go to atlantic city and play for a couple of days, had the whole trip planned and stuff, and at the last minute got a vicious stomach flu and had to stay home. Feeling better now, however, and I'm wanting to go to Foxwoods on thursday.
I haven't played online in about a week, and have about $600 for a session at Foxwoods, so I'm thinking about spending a day playing 5/10 there. I've played 2/4 there before back a couple of months ago when I was still doing .25/.50 and .50/1 online, and did pretty good except the rake is hard to beat [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Now that I'm playing 2/4 and 3/6 online and doing well, I thought I'd take a shot at 5/10 at Foxwoods. Is this a good idea, or should I step down to 4/8 or up to 10/20 and play extra tight?

I can lose all $600 no problem, I've got another $700 or so for online playing, but I WOULD like to make some money on this session as easily as possible.

Any thoughts on the difficulty of these games?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do play 10/20 then don't be 'extra tight' ie. weak-tight. Clearly you will be intimidated at this limit, so better stay at 4/8 or 5/10 for your bankroll's sake.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:10 PM

Plus, the 10/20 at Foxwoods is often softer than the 5/10. I think aggro players like kill games.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:13 PM

When I meant extra tight, I meant playing like 14/10/2.5 instead of my more typical 18-20/10/2.5. Still you are right, so I won't play 10/20

I'll be at foxwoods at around 8:30 AM tomorrow (thursday), so getting into any game won't be much of a problem. Are all 5/10 games kill games? And what is the Foxwoods kill? Just double blinds next hand or something else?

And I'm treating this session like taking a shot at a higher level, if I have a good winning session, great, if I have a losing session and lose all 600, that's fine too. I've got plenty of bankroll to continue playing online.

I'd kind of prefer to just sit at a passive table that I can run over as opposed to some wild kill game with people 4-betting with 72o preflop, so maybe I'll play the 4/8.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

go for it then. it is a very soft game and easily comparable to .5/1 party.

[/ QUOTE ]

How true of a general statement is this? I've been thinking about giving 5/10 a shot in AC, or when I go to Vegas in March. I have good results at partys .5/10.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:17 PM

The 5-10 with a full kill is a pretty good game at Foxwoods, if you ever get down hopefully you can hit a kill pot, and even out. Last time up there i was able to do pretty well in the game, and with $600 you should be able to do well, considering your play. The Foxwoods 4-8 sometimes plays like a 3-6, and 1-2 NL is not worth it with the $5 time play.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:20 PM

You think $600 is enough to cover the high variance of a kill game? I was kind of hoping to be able to sit down with like $300, and then reload if necessary. Being in the kill game makes me feel almost obligated to sit down with all 600 though.

I don't play nl, so that's out of the question. It's between 4/8 and 5/10 kill for me now.

Also, is the kill a live blind at foxwoods?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:24 PM

Yes, the kill is live. The foxwoods kill triggers at any non-split pot >=$100. Sometimes the 5/10 is a rock garden, and you barely play any kill pots. Sometimes it's wild and wooly, and you only drop the kill when there's a split pot. Given that you're taking a shot at a bigger game for you, you want to find a table somewhere in between. Don't be shy about asking for a table change.