Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Poker Records

This has most likely been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything for it in a search. I want to start keeping better written records on my poker game. However, I'm not really sure what all I should be recording. Also, should I be recording thing on a monthly, daily, or weekly basis? Basically for people who record their poker play, what do your records look like?

Thanks
Old 12-13-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Poker Records

Poker Tracker
Old 12-13-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker Tracker

[/ QUOTE ]

.com
Old 12-13-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Poker Tracker

[/ QUOTE ]

.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means tax records. PT is good, but you are supposed to have written records of each session. I am also curious about what info is needed, since I haven't been keeping written records either.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Poker Tracker

[/ QUOTE ]

.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means tax records. PT is good, but you are supposed to have written records of each session. I am also curious about what info is needed, since I haven't been keeping written records either.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is gunna suck but i figure i can knock out 2/3days every minute or so once i get in the groove it'll only take me 2-3hours to transpose all my pokertracker data into a poker notebook one day at a time. i plan on doing this on the plane from st.louis to NY.

sounds fun.

oh, data, right...it'll be a spreadsheet format w/ the days of the year on the left, the #hands played and amount won on the right in columns. anything else i need?

Barron
Old 12-13-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's my understanding that the only reason you'd ever need to provide written records is during an audit. I think it's a pretty safe bet that if you ever get audited a download of your PT database to a spreadsheet will suffice as record keeping. PT certainly meets and exceeds the requirements of sufficient record-keeping.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:22 PM

for online play, use pokertracker of course.

for live play, i use cardplayer.com's "poker analyst".

tripdad
Old 12-13-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's my understanding that the only reason you'd ever need to provide written records is during an audit. I think it's a pretty safe bet that if you ever get audited a download of your PT database to a spreadsheet will suffice as record keeping. PT certainly meets and exceeds the requirements of sufficient record-keeping.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just basing this off of other threads I've read recently. One pro was apparently audited and only had PT records. I'm not sure what happened about that year (I assume PT was good enough) but he was told to keep hand written records in the future. I believe he was audited again the next year to ensure that he met the record-keeping requirements, but I'm not sure. This is all third-hand information, so it may or may not be correct.

One other problem with PT is that it doesn't include bonus or rakeback info. I may be wrong, but I feel like any bonus or rakeback earned during a session should be included in the session results. If I lose $100, but earn $30 in rakeback and $100 in bonus, I would view that as a +$30 session. Considering bonus and rakeback separately would result in a -$100 session and +$130 in other related income.

I don't know how much of this is correct. Hopefully my CPA will be helpful, but I'm not counting on it.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:26 PM

Here is one link I found that mentions a little bit about the records requirements: http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine...98efc2f3b0405b7