Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-05-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Early hand in the Party 500k

Too weak tight?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB (t1480)
UTG (t1105)
UTG+1 (t935)
Hero (t1955)
MP1 (t985)
MP2 (t2060)
MP3 (t1510)
CO (t1480)
Button (t2120)
SB (t1400)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t30</font>, Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls t30, SB calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t132.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t65</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, Button calls t200, SB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (t597.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, Button calls [t1890] , Hero folds.

Final Pot: t847.50
Old 12-05-2005, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Early hand in the Party 500k

TPTK and a redraw to the nuts i'm gonna be in there. why the weak lead on the turn though?
Old 12-05-2005, 06:37 AM

fold preflop, no question. the blinds are so insignificant this early, and you have several players yet to act behind you. there is absolutely no reason to risk chips this early with a hand easily dominated.

had this not been raised, i would limp in with AJs, but had i been UTG or UTG+1, it is a muck for me.

as for how you played it, it looks obvious to me that the button has a set. shut down after getting a bet and significant raise cold called on this board, especially when the scare card comes on the turn. maybe he'll make it cheap enough for you to draw to the flush if you check it to him.

tripdad
Old 12-05-2005, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop, no question. the blinds are so insignificant this early, and you have several players yet to act behind you. there is absolutely no reason to risk chips this early with a hand easily dominated.

had this not been raised, i would limp in with AJs, but had i been UTG or UTG+1, it is a muck for me.

as for how you played it, it looks obvious to me that the button has a set. shut down after getting a bet and significant raise cold called on this board, especially when the scare card comes on the turn. maybe he'll make it cheap enough for you to draw to the flush if you check it to him.

tripdad

[/ QUOTE ]

fold preflop? are you outta yer damn mind? how do you ever think yer gonna win a tournament without getting a decent stack early sometimes? that is ridiculous advice. its not obvious at all to me that button has a set. its obvious he doesnt want a call on the turn. thats whats obvious. i get it in damn near every time here and live with my 8 to 14 outer if i was even behind to begin with. also, i hate the turn bet. check call or check shove. holla
Old 12-05-2005, 06:46 AM

TPTK and the nut draw on the turn, hmm, these are the times I wish Party had an allin button. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If you were going to fold the turn, you should have check/called instead at the very least to see if you'd hit the backdoor draw to stack him.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:31 AM

I've seen those minraises from EP with monsters so many times that they set off alarm bells.

I'd reraise to 100 preflop to find out if he has KK/AA or not. If he calls or reraises I'm done.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop, no question.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is no question, but the answer to the non-existent question is call.If UTG had AA KK QQ AK here 100% of the time- I'd still call. So small a bet compared to his stack, and he may very well have the best hand anyway.

As for the turn, your bet blows. I'm definitely checking- especially with my redraw. I'd probably follow raptors line and check/call or maybe if I'm feeling frisky I'll shove- but I don't like shoving.

Given your minature bet on the turn, you have to call as any reasonable thinking opponent would see this as weakness.

If you guys were deeper and you bet 3/4 pot and then he shoved... that'd be gross. The way this hand played out I like a call on the turn, though I wouldn't be "thrilled" to call.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:00 AM

let me reiterate. folding preflop, for any reason here, is a horrendously bad error, and means you will likely never win a mtt with a field over 500, because you are WAYYYY Too weak tight. the end. thats the no question. holla
Old 12-05-2005, 09:18 AM

I agree that the turn bet was the worst thing about this hand. However, Tripdad suggested that because of the position and the relative size of the blinds to stack (M), that it's not worth playing AJs from an early position here. I do agree with him, but perhaps this _IS_ too tight. I really don't know. Obviously Raptor has had some great MTT success.

What do you do if the AJ misses the board completely?

I've read and reread the FAQ about exploiting edges and building a stack, I find that it's hard to incorporate the LAG style being a naturally TAG player. Maybe I have to start a new thread or just read and experiment, but I'd like to know if tight early can still win tourneys.

I apologize if this got off subject.

Pokern00b
Old 12-05-2005, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What do you do if the AJ misses the board completely?

Pokern00b

[/ QUOTE ]

Throw it away - in this case it would have cost 30 out of 1955 chips.................

Having said that, I have no major MTT success´............