Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: What do you limp?

[ QUOTE ]
From UTG in the early levels I generally open raise with any pocket pair that I would call a raise with had I open limped instead. In general, this means 77 and up. I'll usually fold 66 and lower unless the table has shown a willingness to let a bunch of limpers see a cheap flop.

Once in a great while, if it's too early for the table to have a read on me, I'll open limp AA from UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're going to open limp AA, don't you also need to open limp other holding? Otherwise, they'll always know you have AA when you open limp.

I understand that you clarified that you might do this only when thetable has no reads. But, I do find it curious that no one else has mentioned open limping AA; I see it a lot.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a better list, I think though you'd be better off mucking AJs and KQs from up front. They're not too bad to play, though.

I'd replace ATs with AJs in MP, bin KQs in EP, and probably also remove KJs. Actually KJ is just a very hard hand to play for profit, even from LP

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks tigerite. i just moved up to the 55's today, and probably will modify as per your advice. at least until i get in the swing of things there, it's always better to take the safer route.

tripdad
Old 12-01-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a better list, I think though you'd be better off mucking AJs and KQs from up front. They're not too bad to play, though.

I'd replace ATs with AJs in MP, bin KQs in EP, and probably also remove KJs. Actually KJ is just a very hard hand to play for profit, even from LP

[/ QUOTE ]
Do I have this right? A list like this is about right for you for an opening limp:

EP 88, 99, TT, AQo
MP 55, 66, 77, KQo, AJs
LP any pair, AJo, QJs, JTs, T9s

Do you raise with 88, 99 and TT from MP? With pairs in LP, do you limp with 22, 33 and 44 or do you really expand the range to include all pairs? If it gets to LP and no one has entered the pot, isn't it better to raise or fold with the small pocket pairs?

Do you limp any stronger hands to protect your weaker limping hands?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:14 AM

WOW...people are so loose.

Limp: 88-JJ (raise in LP if first in)
Raise: QQ-AA, AK

Fold everything else. PStars turbos.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:17 AM

From EP, I don't limp anything. In the first 2 levels, I'm raising 99+, AK, AQs and folding everything else.

Late, I will limp any PP or call a min-raise with them. I'll call a larger raise if my stack is large enough to allow me to do so.

As the blinds get bigger and the table has less players at it, I loosen up those standards a bit, but I'm still not limping. Unless I have a big stack, I'm not limping anything when blinds are 25/50 and once blinds hit 50/100, I don't limp with anything regardless of how many chips I have.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Do I have this right? A list like this is about right for you for an opening limp:

EP 88, 99, TT, AQo
MP 55, 66, 77, KQo, AJs
LP any pair, AJo, QJs, JTs, T9s

[/ QUOTE ]

LP "any pair" for me depends on limpers, if there are none, I will raise them. Save for maybe 22, and on odd occasion 33, which I might limp or even fold, depends on the table.

I raise AQo EP, and sometimes TT as well. I would not open limp KQo from MP, I would fold it, and raise KQs. Behind limpers again depends on those to act after me. AJs is usually a raise from MP unopened, again.

LP, T9s I want at least 2 limpers and probably 3. JTs I want at least two as well I think, but sometimes will play it with 1. QJs again I usually want a limper to play. I wouldn't raise with these hands first in, not at level 1 anyway, except maybe very rarely QJs. AJo I'm raising LP unopened, of course.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you raise with 88, 99 and TT from MP? With pairs in LP, do you limp with 22, 33 and 44 or do you really expand the range to include all pairs? If it gets to LP and no one has entered the pot, isn't it better to raise or fold with the small pocket pairs?

[/ QUOTE ]

See above, yes I am usually raising all of these.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you limp any stronger hands to protect your weaker limping hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not very often at all.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Late, I will limp any PP or call a min-raise with them. I'll call a larger raise if my stack is large enough to allow me to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

It also depends on your opponent's stack, you know. But I used to do this, and I think it's a leak without the right odds and number of people in the pot, because you just don't stack people every time.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WOW...people are so loose.

Limp: 88-JJ (raise in LP if first in)
Raise: QQ-AA, AK

Fold everything else. PStars turbos.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I recall correctly, you're 8-tabling the PS $27 turbos. (And, doing pretty well if the results from when I'm at your table are any indication.) Do you think your limping ranges are best in general, or best for someone who is 8-tabling and may not be able to pay as much attention as needed to individual games? And, this is mostly for EP play, right? You're not suggesting that you won't raise with AQ from late position if no one else has entered the pot, are you?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I recall correctly, you're 8-tabling the PS $27 turbos. (And, doing pretty well if the results from when I'm at your table are any indication.) Do you think your limping ranges are best in general, or best for someone who is 8-tabling and may not be able to pay as much attention as needed to individual games? And, this is mostly for EP play, right? You're not suggesting that you won't raise with AQ from late position if no one else has entered the pot, are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold AQ in all positions (even first in on the button) in the first 2 levels. I fold AK to most raises in the first 2 levels. Heck sometimes I fold AKo if there are a lot of limpers. In later positions I call PP's down to 22 depending on how many limpers there are. The more limpers the lower the PP I'll call with. Basically my strategy in the first 2 levels is play for set value, overpair, or top pair top kicker.

Once level 3 comes around I loosen up a tiny bit, but not by limping. I raise AQ first in on the button now (woohoo!) and sometimes hands like AJ. I'll reraise more often with AK. I start raising my higher PP's, depending on how many players are left.

Once the blinds get to lvl 4 and higher, I never (ever) limp but I loosen up a ton as you probably know.

Now that's a lot tighter than optimal but I'm not confident in my post-flop play and I don't think the EV is very high from playing marginal hands the first couple levels.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once the blinds get to lvl 4 and higher, I never (ever) limp but I loosen up a ton as you probably know.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have noticed...