Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 01:55 PM

Default FPP re-buy super to $500,000 guaranteed after break

I have a good size stack, 50% more than average. Table has been very tight lately, people running out of FPPs, but on the very hand before this the (now) SB flat called an EP raise on the BB and check/folded on a low flop.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero (t5520)</font>
Button (t6055)
<font color="#C00000">SB (t2745)</font>
BB (t6030)
UTG (t3070)
UTG+1 (t3045)
MP1 (t3760)
MP2 (t12365)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t500, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t1250) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?</font>

This seems to be a re-occurring problems for me - when to check and take a free card to a good draw, or when to c-bet it hoping to take down the pot here and now.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 10-02-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: FPP re-buy super to $500,000 guaranteed after break

I'd make a continuation bet here, you may take it down. If it is called villian will more than likely check to you on the turn, and you can take your free card there.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:01 PM

If you think he is a loose caller pf, then make a 600-700 bet here. You got a good draw, and might even have the best hand right now. If you make a bet, you represent AK in his eyes, and if he calls and the 9 comes, you are as good as gold. You could check behind here, but he will be sure to bet the turn 9/10 times. I'd make a good bet on this flop, and if he calls and checks the turn, check behind if you didn't hit. Then if you hit a 9, J, Q, or A, you might have a winner (especially if you hit your straight) and he is very likely to try to steal a pot there.

If he reraises you on the flop, he's got AK, depending on the size of his raise, act accordingly. At least you would know if he did reraise you, a jack or queen isn't helping you out whatsoever.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:08 PM

i like a check here given the rainbow board and texture of the flop... take a free card, and he might be more scared ofa check because it looks like a monster... maybe do a delayed c-bet on the turn, might be scarier than a bet here with the added benefit of a free card.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:22 PM

Thanks for you reply, dirty. It leaves me with a few points to be clarified, please:

[ QUOTE ]
You got a good draw, and might even have the best hand right now

[/ QUOTE ] I'm curious to what holdings you think the SB would have called my pf raise with that renders my K hi/OESD the best hand? I'm behind any pair, any Ace, and K, any T, any deuce (lol). So what am I ahead of? J9, 98, not likely hands, and I can't really think of other hands SB possibly could have called the pf raise with.

[ QUOTE ]
If you make a bet, you represent AK in his eyes

[/ QUOTE ] I do? Why exactly?

[ QUOTE ]
If he reraises you on the flop, he's got AK

[/ QUOTE ] Is that for sure? Couldn't he have basically any K, AK through AT, QQ, JJ, even JT? Not to mention a genuine CR bluff with next-to-nothing?

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 10-02-2005, 02:44 PM

You're right, you are most likely not ahead here right now, but a bet could get an AQ, AJ, or maybe even a JT or T9 to fold.

And I say that it represents AK because if he checked with a ten hand and you check behind, he is going to assume that you don't have a king, while a bet might force him off his hand right there. I just think that there are alot of weak players who call preflop too often, and are willing to check fold middle pair.

And yes, a check raise with nothing could happen, I've seen that happen alot, against an average player, I doubt they would check raise with AT, JT, or JJ. QQ he might have been more likely to reraise preflop, but I have seen people play that weakly before. If he goes for the check raise, I would assume either AK, or KT.

This is all under the assumption that he is a loose player preflop, and feels obligated to call with a random hand on his blinds, since he is already in the pot. Not saying that he isn't the type of player to CR with one of those other hands you mentioned, just that I think he is unlikely to be the type of player that would.

Did you have reads of him being aggressive before these 2 hands that you mentioned?

BTW, thanks for replying, I like these discussions, helps me think more, and helps my game more. I admit from reading your previous posts that you are a more thinking player than I am, so I appreciate these questions.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:52 PM

I'd take a free card so I don't get Check-Raised out of the hand.. then on 4th street if he checks again, you can bet whether you make your hand or not.. or if he bets smallish, maybe your pot-odds + implied odds will be good enough
Old 10-02-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd take a free card so I don't get Check-Raised out of the hand.. then on 4th street if he checks again, you can bet whether you make your hand or not.. or if he bets smallish, maybe your pot-odds + implied odds will be good enough

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the stacks, any continuation bet commits yo to the pot, you're not getting CR out of this pot
Old 10-02-2005, 02:53 PM

just to add.. his check seems suspicious that he'd call your raise and not try and take a shot at the pot, but I don't know how he plays.. Is he a cautious check when he has it, bet when he does kind of player?
Old 10-02-2005, 02:59 PM

I just saw that myself. If hero makes a 700 continuation bet and villian reraises for 1300 more, I doubt I could fold a good draw in that pot.

Maybe checking behind in this hand is a good idea, although I am the type who in most cases will make a continuation bet in position on the flop and if I got called, will check the turn to try to improve my hand. In this case, if he folds, you win a pot. If he calls, you take a free card next hand, or if you get your card, string him along to get the rest of his chips, and if he raises all in, you are probably calling.

So I guess checking the flop and betting the flop are both good here, I tend to get overaggressive sometimes and would bet flops on close decisions like this. Really just a preference, and what you think villian is likely to do.