Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2004, 05:03 PM

Default Playing in AC Tropicana $50 + $15 NLHE tournament Saturday 12:15

Hi, I'll be playing in the Atlantic City Tropicana $50 + $15 NLHE rebuy tournament tomorrow Saturday at 12:15 PM - just wondering if anyone else are planning to go?

I played the tourney 3 weeks ago, and it was a bunch of fun - and relatively inexpensive (even though I didn't finish in the money), because I managed to double my stack in the last hand before the end of the re-buy period, and just took the $50 add-on. They give you T1,000 for starter, but T2,000 for the add-on. The blinds go up every 20 minutes.

People pretty much play like maniacs during the re-buy period, and quite a few keep up that style after the end of re-buy. I simply waited for a good hand, confident that I'd be called by at least one other well-stacked player no matter how much I decided to raise preflop. The good hand never came, but I managed to pick up a few pots post flop on the BB, and had 950 by the end of the re-buy period (average at that point was approximately T2,000).

UTG on the last hand before the break I decided to gamble (and to leave if I didn't win the gamble), and went all-in w/KQ. As expected I got called by two very live players, one holding 98, and the other with even worse holdings. King on the board and I was in great shape for the add-on.

After the initial rounds the blinds progresses steeply, so after the second break it turns somewhat into a crap shoot - unless you have managed to accumulate a big stack.

I believe there was 183 starters when I played, and first price was $9,000. They pay two (2) tables. I busted out on last hand before the third break, again UTG, with a T3,500 stack and facing blinds after the break of 1,000 and 2,000. My A8 got called by a low stacked EP player with 86 (!) and the BB with K9, and the BB made a full boat. I would have been close the average had it swung my way.

Anyway, people were pleassant, the tone light & cheerful, and the managing of the tourney (except for the add-on break, that was supposed to last 30 minutes and was prolonged 3 times to almost an hour) absolutely decent.

The dealers seemed somewhat insecure, but that only added to the fun. At one point a somewhat over-the-top middle aged female dealer with tears in her eyes yelled (after being unable to calculate a side pot) "Back of, I'm in charge of this game!". Immediately to be seconded by an equally frustrated, over-the-top middle aged waitress yelling "Who wants water - I wanna see your hands in the air NOW!". Of course everybody cracked up laughing!

Anyway, it would be fun to see some of you down there tomorrow - good luck if you go!

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 03-19-2004, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Playing in AC Tropicana $50 + $15 NLHE tournament Saturday 12:15

Do they run a bus from Belfast McM [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good Luck, Be lucky

Stoneii