Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Attn: Republicans

[ QUOTE ]
(T)heres no way president bush will end up taking responsibility for his role in the failure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking forward to the "829 Commission Report".
Old 09-03-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your subject line should read "ATTN: Statists"

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you define "statists"
Old 09-03-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Go find somewhere where there was any meaningful criticism of the mayor's pre-storm preparation before the storm hit.

[/ QUOTE ]
So if it's not reported everywhere it's not viable criticism? Is this seriously what you're arguing?!

[ QUOTE ]
The guy called for the evacuation of an entire, major American city, for Christ's sake. And most people thankfully heeded his call.

[/ QUOTE ]
New Orleans has a 27% rate of people without private vehicles (the lowest of any majory U.S. city). This amounts to over 100,000 people. Getting people with cars out is the easy part. It's getting those without cars out that is the hard part which the local government failed to do.

[ QUOTE ]
Who knows how much worse this situation would be if he did not take the bold step of evacuating the whole city.

[/ QUOTE ]
How is calling for the evacuation of a city in the face of a Cat. 5 hurricane, which turned out to be the 3rd biggest hurricane to make landfall in the U.S., a "bold step"? Seems like one of the most obvious steps to me.

[ QUOTE ]
The true problem, as most people with half a brain have recognized

[/ QUOTE ]
...and an axe to grind...

[ QUOTE ]
is the post-storm reaction, most of which lies at the feet of FEMA.

[/ QUOTE ]
I concur that FEMA has not responded adequately, as has Bush more or less. Which, ironically, seems to indicate that maybe we need less government intervention rather than more.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We are talking about actions to be taken before the storm hit. Why is this so hard for you to grasp? <font color="red">Before the Storm </font>

Only the local officials were in a position to do something, and Bush urged them to act, but they did not.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is spin and there is fact. Federal aid was formally requested by the governor of LA <font color="red">Before the Storm</font>. Don't believe me? Read the actual, documented request on the LA governor's web site.

Quote from the request: "effective response will be beyond the capabilities of the State and the affected local governments and that supplementary Federal assistance will be necessary"

Ya think the Feds might have been able to figure out <font color="red">Before the Storm</font> that they needed to get their behinds in there?
Old 09-03-2005, 10:55 AM

If Mayor Nagin is at fault, then so is every previous mayor and every previous local government.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Go find somewhere where there was any meaningful criticism of the mayor's pre-storm preparation before the storm hit.

[/ QUOTE ]
So if it's not reported everywhere it's not viable criticism? Is this seriously what you're arguing?!

[ QUOTE ]
The guy called for the evacuation of an entire, major American city, for Christ's sake. And most people thankfully heeded his call.

[/ QUOTE ]
New Orleans has a 27% rate of people without private vehicles (the lowest of any majory U.S. city). This amounts to over 100,000 people. Getting people with cars out is the easy part. It's getting those without cars out that is the hard part which the local government failed to do.

[ QUOTE ]
Who knows how much worse this situation would be if he did not take the bold step of evacuating the whole city.

[/ QUOTE ]
How is calling for the evacuation of a city in the face of a Cat. 5 hurricane, which turned out to be the 3rd biggest hurricane to make landfall in the U.S., a "bold step"? Seems like one of the most obvious steps to me.

[ QUOTE ]
The true problem, as most people with half a brain have recognized

[/ QUOTE ]
...and an axe to grind...

[ QUOTE ]
is the post-storm reaction, most of which lies at the feet of FEMA.

[/ QUOTE ]
I concur that FEMA has not responded adequately, as has Bush more or less. Which, ironically, seems to indicate that maybe we need less government intervention rather than more.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were fair, you would know the answer to these questions yourself. I'm not going to do it for you. Moreover, these are not the important questions. The important questions are things like why we weren't dropping sandwiches and water by helicopter to the people at the Superdome and the Convention Center on Tuesday or Wednesday. In your world, I guess the mayor should have ridden his rocket jet pack and taken care of business.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We are talking about actions to be taken before the storm hit. Why is this so hard for you to grasp? <font color="red">Before the Storm </font>

Only the local officials were in a position to do something, and Bush urged them to act, but they did not.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is spin and there is fact. Federal aid was formally requested by the governor of LA <font color="red">Before the Storm</font>. Don't believe me? Read the actual, documented request on the LA governor's web site.

Quote from the request: "effective response will be beyond the capabilities of the State and the affected local governments and that supplementary Federal assistance will be necessary"

Ya think the Feds might have been able to figure out <font color="red">Before the Storm</font> that they needed to get their behinds in there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see you only have 13 posts, so let me fill you in on one of the rules here. Never, ever, confuse BGC with actual facts.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:04 AM

This very well may be the case, as there seems to have been no plan for such an event at the local level. What is becoming more disturbing is the sheer number of articles written beforehand about such an event happening and it's consequences.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:07 AM

My first post in Politics!

[ QUOTE ]

The true problem, as most people with half a brain have recognized, is the post-storm reaction, most of which lies at the feet of FEMA. Anything the mayor did not do is a mere boil on the ass of this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have enough knowledge to know when FEMA is supposed to jump in and help but it seems funny to me that they were so clueless after the first few days that they had to have people tell them to turn on their t.v. in order for them to get a clue as to what was happening.

Still, wouldn't you love to know what Governor Blanco and her advisiors have been up to for the last 3 days? Can you see Giuliani just throwing his hands up in the air and crying? What they needed was for the local government to get in the trenches there with the poor people and try to figure out the solutions real fast. I would love to know where the governor's been camped out all these days.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It must be so easy to govern in your world. All of the sudden, bus drivers just appear and people can just get on them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd be interested in how efficiently the Democratic party "found" all of these poor people on election day 2004 and transported them to the polls. I'll wager that their "get out the vote" effort overshadows their "get out of town" effort.

Eagerly awaiting the findings of the "829 Commission".