Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em

Old 12-05-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Taking Notes on Players

Hello, i'm new to the forums and the "poker language" so someone help me out with all the acronyms and terms used to describe things.

I'm also wondering what you guys write down for notes on other players. Are there any specific actions or habits I should be watching for. If so, what would be an effecient and to-the-point way of describing a player?
Old 12-05-2005, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Taking Notes on Players

Come up with something simple that works for you. I try to abbreviate as much as possible.

For instance, "crt np/nd" when a lagtard checkraises the turn with no pair/no draw, or "3bfhu fd" for "3 bet the flop heads up with flush draw"; "dbbp vs. pfr/mwp" for "donk bet bottom pair into preflop raiser in a multiway pot".
Old 12-05-2005, 07:07 PM

wow, any more acronyms that are helpful? what do u usually use? also, what else should i be watching for?
Old 12-05-2005, 08:58 PM

I used to post several notes on players, but after downloading PA HUD, I no longer need to.

If you haven't done so already and you're serious about online poker, buy pokertracker (pokertracker.com) and the HUD (pokeracesoftware.com). This software will display three primary player stats that are essential: VPIP (how many hands players are paying to play), PFR% (how often players are preflop raising), and AF (how aggressive players are).

Generally speaking in limit hold'em, a decent player will have a VPIP < 20, PFR > 8, and an AF between 1.5 and 3.5. These generalizations are certainly debatable, but I think most limit hold'em players would agree.

I still write a few notes, but this piece of software has substantially reduced their value.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to post several notes on players, but after downloading PA HUD, I no longer need to.

I still write a few notes, but this piece of software has substantially reduced their value.

[/ QUOTE ]

i *strongly* disagree with these comments.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:16 PM

I agree axioma. Notes and personalized reads are much more valuable.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:36 PM

Some very basic things that will help you get started:

I make it a point to note when I see someone repeatedly playing a weak starting hand, especially when they play garbage suited cards or they play marginal hands way out of position.

I also note whether someone consistently lets me take their blinds or whether they put up a fight.

Also if they like to see cheap flops and then consistently fold to any aggression when the flop misses them.

Also, when someone raises from late position on the flop and then takes a free card on the turn.

Also, when someone calls without correct pot odds or folds when they had correct pot odds to call even a marginal hand.

A million more, I'll try post more later on if I think about it..
Old 12-13-2005, 11:47 AM

IŽll add one that I use
brr cb Bluff ReRaises ContinuationBets. Some players like to steal raised pots with large flop bets, this can be exploited since theese smallstacks often 3 bet allin...