Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's your move?
Take the freebie. 8 53.33%
He showed he's weak, bet into him! 5 33.33%
Pull the plug on your internet connection, so you get a free showdown 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2005, 03:29 AM

Default End of year review. Some common situations.

I come across these situations quite often and many of them are standard, but it doesnt hurt to review, assume all opponents are normal players, a bit to loose and passive, but nothing extreme.

Folded to you on the button, you raise AKs, BB calls, flop 853r he check raises you, and you?

You raise 88 in the hijack, button calls, blinds fold, flop T63r, you bet he calls, turn A, and you?

You hold red JJ in the sb, button raises and you three bet, he calls, flop KT6 with two spades, you bet and are raised, you?

Villan limps and you raise AKs, flop J62r, he checks calls, turn is a Q, he checks, and you?

You complete in the small blind after two limpers with 78s, flop J83 with one of your suite, you?

You hold TT and raised and are cold called on the button, flop AJ3, you bet he calls, turn 5 you bet he calls, river 2 and you?

vote in polls below, in respect to the questions above, i kind of stuffed up the polls but i aint changing them
Old 12-27-2005, 03:49 AM

Default Re: End of year review. Some common situations.

Reads are pretty important for some of these.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:30 AM

Q3 desperately needs reads, is this a TAG type, has he been stealing earlier, does he raise flush draws, what level is this 2/4 or higher where stealing is more common?

VS the correct type I would be inclined to call and donk-bet a blank turn. I voted fold on flop on this though without reads.

If he is a TAG he is probably raising AK KQ, KJ, AQ, and so on.
If a weak passive type is raising from the button I am also inclined to evaluate my hand strength as he seldom raises, this tho is a weaker tell than the TAG. A reraise on the flop from a weak passive type is a strong tell that you have been beaten.

At last is the tricky type that I would call down against just to avoid steals. I do think we are behind most here though.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Q4

[ QUOTE ]
Villan limps and you raise AKs, flop J62r, he checks calls, turn is a Q, he checks, and you?

[/ QUOTE ]
Bet/fold is a common reply but it would be bad. You're getting 6.5:1 and have 4 outs to the nuts and 6 tainted pair outs. You only need 6 outs to call, I would say you at least 6.5 outs + implied odds.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You hold red JJ in the sb, button raises and you three bet, he calls, flop KT6 with two spades, you bet and are raised, you?

[/ QUOTE ]

my default play here is actually just to stop n go, as there are all manners of tens, pocket pairs, and flush draws that you are leading here.

since I was not given that option, I chose to threebet (where I would call a cap from anyone aggressive or tricky, and do a serious reeval on the turn)

the problem with calling and checking the turn here is that this flop raise in a steal situation is a freecard play far too often.

Make no mistake, its a total disaster for our hand if the turn gets checked though.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You complete in the small blind after two limpers with 78s, flop J83 with one of your suite, you?

[/ QUOTE ]

lots of people lead out here, but I think that may be wrong. I did not get the option to check and re-evaluate, but that tends to be my default play here as well.

if I check and the action goes

-bet,call,call, then I can just call along and look to pick up my draw on the turn.

-bet,fold,raise, (or any other combination of bets and raises) then I can just get the hell out

-check,check,bet, then I can raise and get HU with an ok HU hand

-bet,fold,fold, then I can either call or raise based on a read

-check,check,check, then I reeval on the turn. This is the worst case scenario, but its not as bad as in the JJ hand, since we are so much more vulnerable here, and because we also have a backdoor draw.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:47 AM

-deleted because I misread the action-
Old 12-27-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the problem with calling and checking the turn here is that this flop raise in a steal situation is a freecard play far too often.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder, have my opponent ever checked behind on the turn when I call his flop raise.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I wonder, have my opponent ever checked behind on the turn when I call his flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see it all the time, but I play shorthanded.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see it all the time, but I play shorthanded.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, I play full and in my experience it only happens very rarely.