Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: what is torture

I had every one of those things (or some variation thereof), except the water board(some of my friends experienced it), done to me while I was going through survival training and if thats the worst some terrorist ever has done to him than he is getting off pretty easy. You want to define real torture, why dont we start with some of the things that were done to our Vietnam POWs.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:47 PM

This ^ is partially my reason for still being on the fence about U.S. "torture". We're being asked to not use techniques that parents use on their children, for Pete's sake! I have a hard time feeling sorry for a known terrorist being slapped around to find out some more information.

I mean, wouldn't you feel at least a little guilty if you supported a ban on such techniques and found out later that their use could have saved hundreds of lives.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:49 PM

Waterboarding is usually done with a cloth, not cellophane. Many US servicemen have been waterboarded, as it is part of the SERE school.

None of this--shaking, slapping, discomfort positions, sleep deprivation, waterboarding--is torture. There are several reasons for this.

(1) no long-lasting physical injury occurs
(2) generally there is a low risk of death
(3) the amount of "pain" inflicted is relatively modest

I personally think we should add tasers to the list of acceptable enhanced interrogation techniques, but I'd probably be considered a wacko for saying this. Tasering + waterboarding would probably also be quite effective.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:55 PM

The Rack, the Garrote, and Rectal Pears are to Torture as Sleep Deprivation, Slapping, and Underwear on the Head are to ____________________.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Rack, the Garrote, and Rectal Pears are to Torture as Sleep Deprivation, Slapping, and Underwear on the Head are to ____________________.

[/ QUOTE ]

This question works better if phrased slightly differently.

"The Rack, the Garrote, and Rectal Pears" are to "Sleep Deprivation, Slapping, and Underwear on the Head", as Torture is to ____________________.

The answer is:

Getting only 1 scoop of shepherds pie from the cafeteria lady.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had every one of those things (or some variation thereof), except the water board(some of my friends experienced it), done to me while I was going through survival training and if thats the worst some terrorist ever has done to him than he is getting off pretty easy. You want to define real torture, why dont we start with some of the things that were done to our Vietnam POWs.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the major issues with the whole torture debae as that these detainees have no recourse to due process or any way to fight the charges levied against them. As a result, many of them aren't terrorists and are just people who got picked up based on anonymous tips or spotty evidence.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a result, many of them aren't terrorists and are just people who got picked up based on anonymous tips or spotty evidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know this?
Old 12-17-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, wouldn't you feel at least a little guilty if you supported a ban on such techniques and found out later that their use could have saved hundreds of lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been through SERE as well, no big deal, however I'm adamantly opposed to "enhanced interrogation techniques" or whatever the current flavor of the day is.

I think what's being largely ignored is the validity of the 'results' produced through these techniques. Those with experience (not all, but many) assert that people under duress will admit anything, erroneously sell out their neighbor and say whatever the interrogator wants to hear.

We'll never reach consensus on the morality...some will do it, some won't. For those that would, are the 'results' up to snuff?
Old 12-17-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a result, many of them aren't terrorists and are just people who got picked up based on anonymous tips or spotty evidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because many detainees have been realeased due to the fact that they were picked up for no good reason.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think what's being largely ignored is the validity of the 'results' produced through these techniques. Those with experience (not all, but many) assert that people under duress will admit anything, erroneously sell out their neighbor and say whatever the interrogator wants to hear.

[/ QUOTE ] Yes. I think this is an underdiscussed point in regards to torture. Torture, or even enhanced interogation will obviously lead to bogus conffessions. Also, in general, no self respecting terrorist who possesses any break through info will ccave in and confess after having his belly slapped. conversly, some know nothing driver bodygaurd etc... who has less at stake is likely to make up some bogus story to save his skin.