Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2002, 02:51 PM

Default ethics question

I posted this previously in small stakes and didn't get the response I was looking for. It also apparently confused some people, so I'll try to make it crystal clear.

I'm playing in a $3-$6 game with a kill. The table is hanging at 8 players with one really bad player who was walking a lot. The bad player is an off-duty cardroom employee. I notice that when I have the BB, the dealer hurriedly brings the flop without giving me the option to raise. I haven't been looking at my cards until it's my turn to act, so I look down to find QQ and the dealer is already bringing out the flop(which brings an Ace and a King). Then I notice that when the really bad playing employee is in the BB, he offers her the option [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]. This pisses me off a little bit. Later on, a new guy sits down two to my left. He starts posting his BB right after I've played mine. So I'm supposed to be in the SB now, but I hesitate and the guy to my immediate left puts up the SB. So now I'm on the button and the guy to my right has jumped from the SB to the cutoff and the guy to my immediate left is skipping the BB and is playing for $1 per round. I consider saying something, but I've got a bit of a chip on my shoulder, so I don't. I'm pretty sure that I was the only one at the table who knew what was happening, and it happened round after round. If the dealer had been treating me fairly when I was in the BB, I might have said something, but I'm not sure. Of course I definitely would have spoken up if I were getting screwed out of the button, so there's the quandry. Are my actions defensible? (and no, I'm not going to be playing there anymore)
Old 10-26-2002, 02:59 PM

Default Re: ethics question

No, your actions are not defensible. You are screwing over innocent players because the dealer is not treating you properly. These are completing unrelated issues. You should pay your blinds properly and bring the other unrelated issue to the attention of the dealer/floorperson/whoever...

-- Homer
Old 10-26-2002, 05:55 PM

Is there a Jackpot there? You have to say something, you don't need to be rude about it or anything but definitely say something. If you feel the dealer is trying to cheat somehow, tell the floor.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:16 PM

Ripgog,

Ypu are not responsible to look out for other players money or position. However I am confused as to how this can happen every round. Would you please elaborate on that aspect of your post? Personally I would have spoken up and corrected the dealer immediately but that should in no way obligate you to do the same.

Jimbo
Old 10-28-2002, 01:32 PM

The guy two seats to my left was consistently posting the big blind one hand too early. The guy directly to my left would see that the big blind had been posted one to his left and put up the small blind. The guy to my right never seemed to notice that the button was jumping him and landing on me. Talk about oblivious players, eh? I do have a tough time believing that the guy to my immediate left didn't realize that he was saving $3 a round, but I didn't see any evidence of it.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:50 PM

Ripdog,

Those guys were oblivious!! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I hope you ended up beating the game nicely. Perhaps they were all too busy looking for tells to notice the jumping button.

Good luck,

Jimbo
Old 10-28-2002, 05:27 PM

I played for three hours and won $95. The game was mostly silent and very tight/passive. $95 doesn't getted me too revved up, but when I look at a figure of just over 5 big bets an hour, I realize that I was beating them up pretty well. Actually, the girl that was the object of dealer favoritism was responsible for most of this win.

Maybe I've got no conscience, but if something that seems so obvious to me is slipping by the other 7 or so players at the table AND the dealer isn't catching it, well, there's an edge for me. Same goes for anyone who's flashing their cards to me (hasn't really happened yet). I absolutely will not try to sneek a peak, but if I get information that helps me due to another players ineptness, you can bet I'll use it against the rest of the table. Poker's not a game, it's war, baby!