Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 05:43 AM

Default My first hand ever at the 1000NL 6-max...

...cost me a 1000 bucks! I feel slightly discouraged. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Probably a new record for the new guy to lose his stack.

It was AK.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Re: My first hand ever at the 1000NL 6-max...

run into a set OOP?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:08 AM

No it was KJ. UTG flopped 2 pair. I should have reraised preflop but I'm not sure if even that would of helped. If UTG raises to 30 and next 2 players call, are you always supposed to reraise with AK in the BB and how much? I called and that was terrible. I called because if he pops me allin after my reraise I will be folding and I want to see the flop with AK.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:19 AM

may want to not play that high for a while...
Old 03-23-2005, 06:43 AM

I hate seeing flops with AK oop against a field. My worst nightmare.

Id reraise or *gulp* fold. So basically Id reraise all but the tightest seeming players. (only because of the field of people)
Old 03-23-2005, 07:13 AM

I won't. I don't have the proper roll either to play without fear. The games still look very easy but so aggressive.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:48 AM

If this your main concern, you should not be playing at these levels. In the BB with AK in that situation, you should reraise to $135-$150. Against 3 other players, your AK is not that good. Do you really think KJ would have called another $120 when he still had 2 people behind him yet to act?

You also want to make this bet to flesh out an AA or KK hand. I'd rather pay $150 and fold to a clear KK/AA with my AK then lose $1000 to a set, or a bluff with my overs.

People may move in with 99-QQ here, but you need to play each situation as it comes. Long and shot is that if you raise to $150, KJ doesnt call (in most situations - he may call if suited and v loose player), and you dont lose $1k.

Also remember that the BB is the perfect disguise for your hand. You look as though you're trying to steal the $90 in the pot. Therefore if the flop comes down A74, the idiot Ax suited who called your re-raise may pay you off.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:55 AM

Hey dude...chin up..at least you are taking the loss like a man and can admit it. Drop back down a level, work your bankroll back up and then go back into the 1k game when you feel secure doing so again and you will be fine [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jez
Old 03-23-2005, 10:11 AM

How's the action go post-flop? Also, what was the board like? With a lot of action and not too many draws on board, you should have been able to get away from the hand at some point...

Also, calling there to see what flops isn't terrible. I would probably reraise hoping to take it down there some of the time, but not always - depends on UTG raiser...
Old 03-23-2005, 10:21 AM

Flop was K J 3 or something. I knew UTG would bet and I wanted to checkraise. He bet 100, everyone called to my surprise and I reraised to 350. He goes all in rest fold. This is where I should have folded but called for some reason. Bad hand and I played it like a true jackass. That be it.