Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Playing AK in a big pot

SB is a slightly LAGgish 25/11/2.75, Button is 39/0/0.34, both over about 30 hands.

Any other way to play this? With lousy relative position waiting till the turn to raise doesn't seem to be an option. Concerns include SB having AA or a less likely passively played two pair/set, and forcing out gutshots.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (21 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (15.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (19.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 22.50 BB
Old 01-19-2005, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Playing AK in a big pot

What are you trying to accomplish by raising the flop? If you think you have the best hand are raising for value then of course it is correct to raise. It wouldn't be correct in an attempt to protect your hand as the BB would be correct to call two bets cold even if he just held a J or Q.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are you trying to accomplish by raising the flop? If you think you have the best hand are raising for value then of course it is correct to raise. It wouldn't be correct in an attempt to protect your hand as the BB would be correct to call two bets cold even if he just held a J or Q.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree partly. This seems like one of those situations mentioned in SSH when it is probably more profitable to wait till the turn to bet/raise. I would play the turn and river the same way.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree partly. This seems like one of those situations mentioned in SSH when it is probably more profitable to wait till the turn to bet/raise. I would play the turn and river the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an amateur opinion having just read SSH, but it seems like exactly that case where the pot is too big on the flop to push anyone out. Also, if you have only called flop bettor might have assumed you missed the flop and bet into you on fourth giving you the opportunity to raise and put two big bets to anyone who was drawing for straight or flush. The river seems to show that there was in fact someone else to worry about.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:52 PM

Flop raise is meant to be for value. With SB being the likely turn aggressor, I'm figuring that waiting until the turn just traps the field for 2BB instead of forcing people to call 2 cold.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:56 PM

As long as they put two bets in on the turn, the order doesn't matter. I would also wait for the turn to pop it, but it's close, especially since you have a gutshot in addition to your TPTK.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:41 AM

I have a question related to this hand. I thought it was proper to cap with AK suited but only call a 3-bet with AK open. Which is correct? Is either OK? If it depends, what does it depend on? Thanks, TomBk
Old 01-20-2005, 11:00 AM

Given your position on SB, I would automatically cap this.

If I had been three-bet by button, I would usually still go ahead and cap but might opt against it if the reraiser were exceptionally tight and played well post-flop.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not possible to protect your hand in this situation.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:04 AM

This is an amateur opinion having just read SSH, but it seems like exactly that case where the pot is too big on the flop to push anyone out. Also, if you have only called flop bettor might have assumed you missed the flop and bet into you on fourth giving you the opportunity to raise and put two big bets to anyone who was drawing for straight or flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not even close to Miller's "when a flop raise won't protect your hand" example. Review that example and this hand carefully and be sure you see why.

If you routinely fail to raise flops like this because you're waiting for the turn to protect your hand, you are grossly misapplying the advice in SSH and have a major leak in your game.