Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Good read or crazy call?

$20 Rebuy Pokerstars Tourney
48 people left. 27 get paid Top prize is over $2500
Blinds: $1000/$2000 w/ $100 ante; 8 handed table

I have $32k (20th place but still only 16xBB.)

Table has been VERY tight. Usually one raise (sometimes a minimum raise) & everyone folds.

I'm UTG+1 with 9c9d. UTG folds. I decide to min-raise. Folded to the big blind who just calls. He is new to the table & I don't have a read on him and has $28k in chips.
$9,800 in the pot to see the flop:
8h 8d 6c
BB bets $10k. I call.
Pot is $29,800 to see the turn:
6s
BB goes all-in for his remaining $14,500. Crap. Can I lay this hand down with only $18k left in chips & a pot of $44k? I quickly call.

Highlight the blank section below for results.
Thanks.

Results:
<font color="white"> Actually I wasn't the player with 99. I was in the BB with AJos. I decided to see the flop ($2000 into a pot of $7800) &amp; then thought it was the perfect flop to steal a pot.

While the minimum raise seemed fishy &amp; I've seen AA &amp; KK do this in these tourneys, I was pretty confident he didn't have an 8 or even a 6. Also, if he had AK, AQ or even an overpair, he might fold it to the possibility that I actually had an 8. When he called the pot-sized bet of $10k, I gulped heavily but didn't take the time I should have to think about what he might be calling with.

When the turn came 6s, making a rainbow, double paired board, I saw an even better opportunity to steal, thinking surely he would fold without an 8 or a 6 with a board of 8866. After all, I was in the BB &amp; might have anything. Even if he had Ax, we would split it.

Of course he didn't fold &amp; I go to the river with only 6 outs to win &amp; 4 outs to tie &amp; go out in 48th place.

Believe me I've heard about this from my friends who pointed out that my 3 hours (&amp; $42) were blown on one stupid move &amp; they have the ultimate trump card - the results. (Although my normally VERY tight image is now erased from their minds &amp; this could be +EV for a few months!)

My question is this: Is this a move that would work at higher levels? Would I have been doomed against 99, TT, JJ, QQ, KK, &amp; AA? Of course I should have recognized that I wasn't playing against players that are normally known for laying down hands, but would it have worked in a game where players DO lay down good hands?

My apologies to anyone who was "tricked" &amp; responded to the 99 player, but I also wanted to understand what people's opinions were on his play.

Thanks

-Napawino
</font>
Old 05-18-2004, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Good read or crazy call?

If indeed you were the BB then you would be the person who was new to the table. If you were new to the table how did you know the

"Table has been VERY tight"
Old 05-18-2004, 03:32 PM

I had only been there for two orbits or so. I think the table saw 1 or 2 flops during that time and I hadn't seen a flop with cards since sitting down. A very small sample size, granted, but twice I had seen minimum raises from EP folded around.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:36 PM

If he didn't believe you had an 8 for 10k on the flop, he's certainly not going to believe it for 14k on the turn. So the real question is whether his flop call was right.

Personally, when I am the preflop raiser in these situations, I tend to be very skeptical when the blind bets out. Sometimes that costs me when he actually has trips, but the fact is, usually a BB who flops trips in this situation will go for the check-raise anyway. However, given that he obviously didn't believe you, he really should have raised the flop. It would have served him right if you had hit one of your overcards on the turn after he let you stay in.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:43 PM

thanks for clarifying. Just got confused because you seemed to put emphasis on the fact that the table was VERY tight.