Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2005, 12:41 PM

Default MTT IQ Test

The short story - I need to find or produce an MTT IQ test for help with my dissertation, does anyone know where I could find one, or give me some help in devising one.

The long(er) story - I am a final year student at Bath University in England, I am studying BSc Psychology and Communication Engineering. My final year dissertation is going to be on the perceptual aspect of skilled performance in poker; specifically the difference between an Amateur and a Professional in the game of No-Limit Hold’em Tournament poker (Online). Many studies of this kind have been done before on other games, mostly on chess. The results have been very positive and I would like to see if they can be repeated in poker. The problem I am now faced with is rating the ability levels of willing participants, chess has a structured rating system for all levels of participants, poker doesn’t (or at least not one I am aware of), except obviously, at the highest level.

As we all know poker players can’t be relied upon to judge their own ability, and while I feel I could happily rate people’s abilities by talking or playing poker with them, I need a scientifically more viable option. So I figure, some form of interview slash test of their poker ‘IQ’ could be a good option. Please could you reply with any suggestions, or point me in the direction of anything that has been done before.

(I am posting this in MTT because I want to be able to judge a person’s MTT ability, but if you feel this thread would be better suited somewhere else, please let me know).

Cheers

Jon