Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Fold KK on the flop?, 2/5 dollar NL

Hi everyone...

I always believe one of most peoples leaks in cash games (and one that we can exploit) is overplaying of AA and KK. You can call the original raise with huge implied odds as most cant let it go.

I do believe this is one area that I can improve on as well and as such i was unsure about this pot. Both me and the villian have the max (500) infront of us, I am on the button with KK. There is one limper infront of me and I make it 25 to go on the buffet (as we call the button here in scotland lol). The big blind (villian) calls and the original limper folds.

I have only been sat at the table for one round and have never seen the villian before. However he seems to be pretty TAG on first guesses....he has seen me play a few pots but i have not won one on the table yet, always folding before a showdown so far.

Flop : 10 7 8 rainbow

he checks I bet 60 he checkraises to 160.....what would you do?

I understand you must get loads of boring newbie threads like this in here but I would appreciate some of your guys views, you all seem to be excellent cash game players.

Jez
Old 08-12-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Fold KK on the flop?, 2/5 dollar NL

I'd call. J9 is unlikely holding here. Jacks, queens, a T with good kicker/straight draw (aka 10 9 and up) are more likely. Of course, he could have flopped a set as well but I wouldn't give him credit for that just yet.

I'd raise if out of position and define the hand right there... but given the strength of your hand and the texture of the flop, I think it's smart to let your positional advantage operate.

If he moves all in on the turn... then you got a hard decision... otherwise, you're probably ahead.

On another note, if you move all in here, you'd get called by two kinds of hands:
1. a hand that has you crushed.
2. a hand that has a coinflip against you (10 9 or JT fit that description, as does A9... a less likely but still possible holding)

Therefore, I advocate calling here and hoping for a brick on the turn.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:33 PM

So Villian has a set, an overpair, a pair/draw combo, or even perhaps a pair of tens, a draw, or air.

Of those, we are well behind a set, about even with a pair/draw combo.

I don't think theres a way to figure out if he has the set without getting all in. He'll probably fold the weaker hands that we are well ahead of if we reraise (but possibly not JJ QQ).

I'm tempted to take the line of flat calling, hoping if he is bluffing, he'll bluff again. It also gives us a chance to fold if a scare card hits (but we still will be folding if we are ahead here). Is the line of calling, then making a move on the turn when any card other than an A, T, 9 falls?

Tough spot. If the stacks are any smaller or larger, it makes the decision a lot easier.

I am tempted to push, but only because of my image.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:25 PM

You have some good insight there both of you, much appreciated. I figured him for either a set or 78s. I could not see J9 either and cant see him being loose enough to play A9. 109 and JJ or QQ did run through my head, although if you think like that AA was also a possibility. I decided against going through with my hand (like you say if i call and a blank comes I have to go through with my kings. I figured he would have probably led the flop with JJ or QQ or check/called so I folded......

Thanks for the replies guys.

Jez