Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2005, 07:23 AM

Default 9-10s overplayed or about right?

No good reads, but the table was looser than hell.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 (poster) 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (25.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO folds, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (20.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

River: (24.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 24.75 BB

Playing strong draws hard is something I'm trying to work on, I'm not sure where to draw the line, though.

Bet the river? I felt like I was overplaying my hand on the turn when everyone folded and MP1 shut down, so I took the cheap option on the river since we're HU.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:56 AM

Default Re: 9-10s overplayed or about right?

I dont like a few things about this hand. First...

Preflop: Normally Im not calling 2 cold with T9s in middle position but since there were already several ppl in the pot and the game was very weak I dont mind the play preflop.

Flop: When you pick up this draw on the flop I like to just call here. While your pot equity says get more money in there you also dont want to knock other players out of the pot. On top of that you already know the player behind you likes his hand and there is a good chance he will put that raise in for you. This way your not making the rest of the field call 3 cold. If he does raise and every one calls there is nothing wrong with making it 3 bets when its back to you.

Turn: On the turn Im not sure I like a raise here. From the way the hand has unfolded you can be fairly sure your up against an overpair unless AK has been grossly overplayed. If that is the case you have 9 outs to the flush, 2 tens, and 3 nines. Since UTG is still in the pot he may be slowplaying a set. Either raiser may also be betting the AK of diamonds so I would discount your 14 outs to maybe 10 or so. Now my math may be off here but Im thinking in order to raise for value here youre gonna need about 3 and a half callers. Since there is only 3 other ppl in the pot and your raise may well knock some of them out I think you may be losing money on that raise.

River: I like the check on the river. If he has an overpair hes probably afraid of 2 pr or a set because of how strong you played your draw, but wont lay it down considering the size of the pot.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:03 AM

In my opinion it's a bad PF coldcall, I'd fold this one once it's raised.

On the flop I was going to say the raise was bad because it knocks out some potential callers but it might help to clear up your overcards. Also the pot is huge already.

Turn, a good protection raise.

River, might be weak once it's checked to you but it's hard to believe that your top pair is any good considering all the flop action. So I'll probably go for a cheap show-daown as well.

So, apart from PF, looks good to me.

-aron
Old 01-22-2005, 10:26 AM

T9s is a marginal call in MP2 for one bet. Once it's 2 bets to you preflop I'm tossing it.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:08 PM

Preflop: Toss it. Too marginal of a hand for 2 cold in MP

Flop: I like the raise. You have a 4-flush, a backdoor straight draw, and 2 overs. Pump it up.

Turn: I'd just call here.

River: I check as well, but I play a bit too weak so take it for what it's worth.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:09 PM

Yeah, I definitely don't like cold calling for the 2 bets preflop.

I think the other key point is smooth calling the flop (rather than raising). Raising doesn't do much here. Yes, the pot is large, so folding people out might make help you win if you hit a T or 9, but I think it's a good bet that those are useless anyway. You're almost assuredly up against at least one, if not two, overpockets.

There's no way you're winning the pot here, and you're overcards are probably useless. Though the smooth call likely wouldn't have done much to keep others in anyway, as MP3 would have raised.

This mostly just seems like a hand you shouldn't have been involved in to begin with. You're stuck between jammers on a draw.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising doesn't do much here. Yes, the pot is large, so folding people out might make help you win if you hit a T or 9, but I think it's a good bet that those are useless anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's no way you're winning the pot here, and you're overcards are probably useless.

[/ QUOTE ]

please notice that raising his draw is mainly for value. Noone raises here to win the pot right there cause it wont work. If you assume that 3 players will call you anyway, this is a good raise.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:30 PM

That is true. I was mostly responding to aron's comment. I don't know if you can necessarily assume that you'll get at least 3 callers, but I see your point.

Another thing to point out:

Suited connecters thrive in mutliway by drawing on the cheaper streets and making opponents pay on the end. But here you've done so much raising, that had you actually made you're flush you wouldn't have gotten paid off much on the river.

A raise on the flop has no value if it's going to slow you opponents down when you do hit your hand. Give up a small bet to win a few big bets later on.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:37 PM

look at: [ QUOTE ]
No good reads, but the table was looser than hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you just call now and wake up if you hit your flush, even loose players will slow down or even fold. But if you show aggression now and still bet/raise if you hit they will pay off your draw. I think you miss too much if you always just call and raise to "get more on later streets"
Old 01-22-2005, 12:42 PM

I definitely don't like pre-flop and flop. Not sure if I like the turn either.