Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Is this a hole, or corect play?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO (poster) folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls.

He calls my raise, so i figure him for a high ace, no?

Turn: (6.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (8.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero...

Do I call for one more bet like I read in SSHE, even though my read tells me I am beat?
Old 01-18-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Is this a hole, or corect play?

Is this just some random fish? A TAG? Maniac? Looks like you're beat.. Tough hand to have bad position in. If you were gonna call a river bet, then you should just bet it and fold to a raise. You'd lose 1 BB either way, but by checking, he KNOWS he has you if he has the ace.

The pot's a decent size, my initial thought is I'd have to call one bet and make him show me that ace. OTOH, 3-bet hands include AA KK QQ JJ AK maybe AQ, probably not KQ or worse. I can't think of a single hand he'd play that way that you can beat, assuming he's reasonable. After further consideration, You're probably beat &gt;90% of the time, so I don't think folding is bad. Your read is probably right.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:00 AM

I think I bet/fold this river (unless villan is a bluffer!). If you break it down:

Villan is going to call with worse hands if you bet

If you check villan will check with a worse hand (you lose a valuable river bet!), or even worse represent the A and put you in a dilemma like you are in now.

Villan will call or more than likely raise the A when you are beat.

Therefore I believe bet/fold is the right decision here or maybe bet/call if you suspect he's a bluffer. Check calling just feels weak to me.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:47 AM

hey soko

i prefer the "check/fold" on the river to a "bet/fold to a raise". that is my gut feeling, and if i didn't suck at poker so much, i'd be able to articulate why i feel that way. (i feel i should have mastered these situations already, dammit!) i think, in this situation, the only hands that will raise are an ace or trips, which destroy you...and there are zero preflop three betting hands that you are ahead of (with the possible KQs, unlikely 3-bet from a typical player). so, unless you have a read that villian is wild and loose preflop, sometimes, you just need to fold...

maybe there is a slight chance you could fold a better hand, but i doubt it...anyone willing to 3-bet KK, QQ, or JJ will usually stick around for one more bet.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:54 AM

I would check/fold the river even though it seems so weak.

The possible 3-betting hands for a reasonable player are JJ-AA and AK-AQ. You lose to all these hands on the river, you'll only be good here if villian is very aggressive/strange preflop.

I don't think people 3-bet KQ or 22-99 enough for calling a river bet to be +EV. Also you aren't going to fold any better hands.

I like everything else.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:00 AM

I agree with Wario. Check-folding to a scare card after I've been betting the whole way feels uber-weak and I'd probably have to take a shower after making this play to try to wash away the feelings of shame and inferiority, but logically it's hard to see what on earth you're beating here.

If you have a read on villian as a really loose raiser than I suppose bet-fold might be okay, but absent a read that I'm pretty confident in, I'm giving this up and saving my BB.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:49 AM

i dont think that SSHE says calling in this situation.
If MP2 isnt LAGG you wont win here about 10% of the time.
He 3 bet pf and bet the flop. He will beat you more than 90% with hands like AK,AQ,AJ,AT (or AA-JJ)
check/fold...
Old 01-19-2005, 09:11 PM

I check called, he had AJ... as if you all didn't know that already.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:15 PM

From a higher limit perspective, I wouldn't check/raise this flop. What exactly does it do for us here?

Brad
Old 01-26-2005, 01:41 PM

put money in the pot which I have the best of?