Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 4 v 20
D 23 35.94%
T 41 64.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Standard Deviation of those of you who use pokertracker.

Hey guys, im coming back into nl to diversity and have placed some badly played and wrong forum posts.

this one, however, is for you mid/high online NL players and has to do with one statistic from pokertracker. as a limit player i've always held that the variance is lower in NL both in the short run (save the 1pot discussions) and the long run.

well i know from talking with other great limit players that the st.dev/ 100 hands is about 14-19 for good players (mine, after 83k hands is 15.2444bb/100 and 14.1471bb/hour at 30/60...i.e. pokertracker filtered for only 30 games)

what is your st.dev in bb / 100 hands (if you've never looked its in pokertracker- filter for all NL games only- Session tab under More Detail)

thanks
-Barron

PS- you can view the results w/o voting so please only vote if you have a lot of hands (dont vote if you only have a few k hands) and you play predominantly mid/high stakes nl (i.e. im not voting in this thread)
Old 06-21-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Standard Deviation of those of you who use pokertracker.

I only play small stakes NL (NL25-NL100 on Party), however I found this post interesting as I've never looked at this statistic before on PT.

Oddly enough, my std. dev. in BB/100 hands is WAY out of range of your poll.. 45.8344 BB/Hr for 33,000 hands of about half NL50, half NL100. I imagine this is due to the nature of the game at these stakes - I rarely put much money in unless I have a good enough hand to win a big pot most of the time.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:52 PM

mine is about 35bb/100..
Old 06-21-2005, 01:55 PM

I'll respond to this when I get home and look at my numbers - as I don't remember what they are.

Also remember that most good players make around 9-10 BB / 100.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll respond to this when I get home and look at my numbers - as I don't remember what they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

so its effectively 4.5-5 big bets (double the big blind)/100 in limit terms.

well see now that puts me in a statistical pickle (lovely sound based alliteration lol). when you're bb/100 goes up, your variance goes up(except when you're bb/100 is like "-2" then going from -2 to 0 decreases your variance. similarly going from 0-1.5bb/100 will drive your variance down a bit but then going from 1.5bb/100 to 2 or higher bb/100 will again push your variance up b/c now you're pushing every small edge). but i was always told that limit is "more variance" than nl b/c nl players have more "control" over their game than do limit player (a good fold/good steal is hrader to achieve in limit and will usually save you a fraction of a big bet/win you a small pot)..

so am i now to believe that since the ev of nl on average in terms of big bets/100 (or 2xbig blinds/100) is higher? Then it is no longer true that NL is less variable than limit on average..

interesting.

-Barron

PS- i find it hard to believe that anybody who is a winning player has a standard devation of 30bb/100.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:26 PM

50BB/100 over 25k hands at 5-10 or higher NL

There needs to be a class on how to use Pokertracker. I never knew about this, and presumably also not about a billion other features it has.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:27 PM

at smaller stakes 10+ptbb/100 is achivable and sustainable.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so am i now to believe that since the ev of nl on average in terms of big bets/100 (or 2xbig blinds/100) is higher? Then it is no longer true that NL is less variable than limit on average..

interesting.

-Barron

PS- i find it hard to believe that anybody who is a winning player has a standard devation of 30bb/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning players can easily have a SD higher than 30bb/100 and I am one of those.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:02 PM

When I said 9-10 BB / 100, I meant PT BB / 100, so realy around 19 big blinds / 100. So your profit goes up a ton compared to the variance. I'll respond later though when I get home tonight and see what my PT says...
Old 06-21-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting.

-Barron

PS- i find it hard to believe that anybody who is a winning player in limit poker has a standard devation of 30bb/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning players can easily have a SD higher than 30bb/100 and I am one of those.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed My Post...

-Barron