Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 11:50 AM

Default When do you use the 2 cards to come chart?

When deciding on your odds why do you use the 2 cards to come odds when making your decision? I realize on the flop you have 2 cards to come but you will frequently have to pay a double sized turn bet to see the next one so you aren't really getting those odds, right?

For example, say you have:
K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the button, 2 fold then EP2 limps, 1 more limps and you limp, SB completes, BB checks: 5 SB

Flop comes
3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets, 2 fold, 1 calls (7SB)

Now if you use the 2 cards to come odds you only need 7 to one to call. If you consider your overcards 1.5 outs each then you are getting proper odds it would seem with 3 total outs. However, what happens on the turn? If you don't improve and it's bet to you now you have to fold. You just payed 1 SB getting only 7 to one odds and you only got to see 1 card. Sorry if this is elementary but I end up using the one card to come odds more often than not because I don't want to be drawing when I don't have the odds to. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: When do you use the 2 cards to come chart?

You use them if you're going all in (NL, usu), or if you think you can get a free card. Most often, you have to use one street to the next. LHE actually makes you play more than two streets.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:57 AM

Thanks Wookie,

I just didn't know if I was doing something wrong. They're on the SSH strategy charts that I printed out the other day so I didn't know if I was missing something.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:52 PM

You can also use them with a hand you know you're going to see the river with. (A flush draw or open-ended straight draw would be a good example.) In that case you can use the 2-card odds to see if you'll actually win often enough to bet and/or raise.

You can search for threads on pot equity for more information.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:06 PM

Thanks, that makes sense. I usually just use that multiply by 4 rule on the flop to see if my draw has enough equity for a bet/raise.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, that makes sense. I usually just use that multiply by 4 rule on the flop to see if my draw has enough equity for a bet/raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's for 2 card to come, so you're doing the right thing already.