Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Re: 18 Months of poker and what i have learned

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I drank way too much, and I don’t’ mean normal go away to college drinking. Fortunately, I am a self-aware person, and I knew I needed to get myself back on a better track.

At the beginning of November, I flew out to Vegas ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice job recognizing your faults and coming up with a plan to fix them. Drinking too much? Fly to Vegas!

-Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha i capped off my drinking problem in Vegas. I am seriously confident that i got comped more $$$ in drinks in 2 days than the room was worth. On a more serious note however, since then i have made a habit of consuming less drinks when i am drinking, which i am pleased about.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:25 PM

Anyone can always feel free to PM me, and anyone who does can chait with me on AIM.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's also the fact that kids have more free time to devote to playing and learning. There are probably lots of 30-year-old+ players who have the talent and ability to become successful high-stakes poker players, but don't have the 1-2 years to devote all their time towards doing it. Kids under 25 have the best opportunity to flourish at poker, and it just happens that there are a good amount of really smart kids under 25 that visit this site. If those guys miss out on poker before reaching 30, I doubt they end up where they are now.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is somewhat true of course for many situations...however, i have all the free-time in the world to devote to poker and I still suck.
there are many others out there like me.

It still takes a great deal of skill and discipline. Just because you have the time to devote to it doesn't make it easy.
Lots of college students have some advantages here....but most college students suck as much (if not moreso) at poker as anyone else.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there's a reason the best/highest-stakes players on this site are usually under 25.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. They have more leisure time to learn the game.

2. They usually have fewer financial responsibilities, so they can commit to building their bankroll instead of paying off debts.

3. They are usually not entrenched in a job, so they can afford to take a chance by playing pro poker.

4. They often learn poker while still in school or right after finishing--they are ripe to learn from book/forum study.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:50 PM

What I'm saying is that the really smart successful young high-stakes poker players wouldn't be high-stakes poker players if they were introduced to poker at 30. They would be off doing something else at a high level that probably requires a large investment of time, and most would be very successful. I think many of the very successful and very good players on this site would be very successful even without poker.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:00 PM

One of the better posts i've read, i really hope everything will work out great for you. You have motivated me a lot with this post.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:11 PM

Default if it wasn\'t for 2plus2, my children would be starving

I have also been playing poker for 18 months now, and I found it interesting to compare your progress to mine. I started out playing micro-stakes limit in the summer of '04, losing about half a grand before I decided to quit. But in the back of my mind, I knew that I had to keep playing, that I could beat this wretched game. So I deposited $5o into PP this March and played $25 NL. And I started winning. And winning. So I started moving up in stakes, where I continued to run good. I am the kind of person whose performance suffers when not challenged/stimulated enough, so when I started running bad at $400 NL I started taking shots in the bigger games. As of now I play 5-10 NL and higher, and I'm still running good.
What's funny is that my goal in March was to be a winning player at 100 NL by the end of the year. Never in my wildest dreams did I see myself playing 10-25 against Esfandiari. I would just like to say that there is no way I would be where I am at today without 2plus2. Thank you all.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:12 PM

You are that rarest of things. An eighteen year old with his head screwed on.

Good post and good luck for the future.

RH

PS I hope your parking some of that loot you're making in long term investments (preferably the locked in kind you can't touch) - compound interest is a wonderful thing for someone so young to be able to tap into.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:07 PM

Default Re: if it wasn\'t for 2plus2, my children would be starving

[ QUOTE ]
I have also been playing poker for 18 months now, and I found it interesting to compare your progress to mine. I started out playing micro-stakes limit in the summer of '04, losing about half a grand before I decided to quit. But in the back of my mind, I knew that I had to keep playing, that I could beat this wretched game. So I deposited $5o into PP this March and played $25 NL. And I started winning. And winning. So I started moving up in stakes, where I continued to run good. I am the kind of person whose performance suffers when not challenged/stimulated enough, so when I started running bad at $400 NL I started taking shots in the bigger games. As of now I play 5-10 NL and higher, and I'm still running good.
What's funny is that my goal in March was to be a winning player at 100 NL by the end of the year. Never in my wildest dreams did I see myself playing 10-25 against Esfandiari. I would just like to say that there is no way I would be where I am at today without 2plus2. Thank you all.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll set the over under at Valentine's Day, anyone want action?
Old 12-17-2005, 09:17 PM

You have always seemed somewhat well strung with your self awareness but your shooting up stakes seems like you want to ride the variance rollercoaster. You will probably think those days are over because you hit badly once, but they are probably far from over. No matter the level of your poker skills, the level of stakes you play or the size of your bankroll there are always bigger games and there are always stakes in which with a bad run you could go totally bust. The reason i meantioned this was because about 3 times you meantion how the swings in poker had an effect on your mood when over events should have engulfed it,

[ QUOTE ]
My grandmother also passed away, and combined with the worst month of poker career and adapting to college, it was not a fun month.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I missed my good friends, and my relationship with my long-term girlfriend self destructed. I was in an emotional rut for quite a while. Fortunately, during September, I was also running very well and end up having my best month of poker ever (42k) which helped alleviate some of the emotional turbulence I was handling

[/ QUOTE ]

In both of those quotes, the event poker is coupled with should [for a professional] easily outweigh whatever poker swings you go on. Having the fact if you are up for a day/week/month control if you are happy or not is unhealthy. You are flipping a coin for whatever mood you are in.

Hopefully you can use your self awareness to monitor how much poker affects your mood and progress with correcting it.

Along the way you will realise poker is a very emotional game and controlling your homelife and mind state is just as important as focusing on your game. While we see many kids shoot up stakes and win big a lot, there are tons of older people who grind out very successfully, because they live more balanced and organised lives.

Best of luck.