Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Interesting River decision with 3 Jacks (PP 200nl 6Max)

If he's aggro postflop, doesn't make much sense that he'd check top pair on flop (unless he was planning on C/R). On the turn, he's either looking to take it down, bets his T or J or he's betting a draw (most likely FD).

The problem with the river is that he's gonna raise his trips as well as his flush. You're given ~2.5:1, I think I'd call. I should give more consideration to a boat, but an aggro opponent would most certainly reraise the turn with a set when board is showing possible str8 and FD (plus he'd want to build a dam pot at some point).

edit: it seems everyone leans towards a fold, and that might be why I seem to make too many loose calls on the end at 6-max. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 03:55 PM

When you limp raise preflop you describe your hand perfectly. Not worth much, but if you catch a perfect flop you'd like to see a little more in the pot. When the flop comes with a flush draw and you fail to make a CB and give a free card you have again told villain that you have jack squat.

What you do have is position. When villain shows a little interest in the jack at the turn you use your position to take the action back and to get villain to check the river.

When the J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hits on the river its a clear case of you're WA or WB. This looks like a good example of villain can't possibly call with anything you can beat. This was a good time to check behind.

You've put yourself in a tough spot. I don't see this as a good spot for a bluff. Probably a crying call.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:00 PM

I would fold here but I want to question the people who are talking about him hitting his flush. I don't think I have seen very many NL 200 6amx players who check the flop with a flush draw and then lead into the PFR on the turn with an still unimproved FD. People are generally too passive for that kind of play. Maybe a read would help here.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:07 PM

stop the minraise preflop, and this is worth a river check at this point. im more then happy to show my hand down and win the small pot
Old 11-09-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I fold, he's not scared of your jack. If he is loose pre-flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is not out of the question and this is how I would play that hand post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
He must almost be a rock to not play a hand like Q9s there for a min raise in BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I really need to loosen up a little!
Old 11-09-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When the J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hits on the river its a clear case of you're WA or WB. This looks like a good example of villain can't possibly call with anything you can beat. This was a good time to check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this. There might be some value against pretty bad opponents with their weaker trips or even two-pair, but against the described opponent, I agree that this is WA/WB.

If OP feels it is quite likely villain has trips he could bet small for value and fold to a raise perhaps ?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:20 PM

I pretty much play a backdoor flush like villain did here, only I will push rather than just raise to $100. My guess is you're up against a flush, maybe a strange full house (JT), too.

Fold.

FWIW, I think I'd fold a low flush here, too, and a low flush beats your rivered trips. Of course, I SAY that now, but 2 days ago I called with a low flush on the river to a bet like this only to see "solid" villain have (surprise!) a higher flush.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:46 PM

Fold.

Its definately not a bluff. Put yourself in his shoes, he sees that you just made atleast 3 jacks or perhaps a flush. Perfect time to bluff!

I always make sure to punish flush draws with 2/3ish pot bets. Because in my experience, a flush draw is the #1 thing loose players are willing to blatently ingore pot odds to make. I probably would of called his 6 on the turn then raised 16 more. Happy drawing mofo...
Old 11-09-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Heres what happened....

Thanks a million for all the replies....Really interesting to hear what you all have to say. I was curious as I was heavily criticised by a colleague at work for the way I played this so wanted to see what you guys had to say.

I <font color="blue"> FOLDED THE HAND </font> and villain auto mucked so Im afraid we'll never know but my thinking was exactly like you guys say ...Villain was solid through out game and shocked me when he came over the top with a CHECK RAISE on the river. I basically was of the opinion that the only thing I can beat here is QJ or a bluff. I thought about this hand long and hard after it was played and now I'm happy to let the demons go on this one as I think it was the correct decision! I also take on board what you say about the bad min raise preflop and then failing to throw out a bet on the Flop.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Heres what happened....

Nice first hand post. Don't be a stranger.

FYI - Next time remember to call so we will know what villain had and so we can criticize you mercilessly for being a calling station [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]