Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Manners and Etiquette at TV tourneys and online poker

It amazes me seeing the immaturity of people at the WSOP and online. Im glad you are excited about your win over the pro at the table but, have some respect to yourself and act like you have done it before. To call your buddy and brag about your "huge" bluff into Howard Lederer is a complete embarassment to yourself. Is that so hard to see? Instead of bragging relentlessly or running your mouth to H. Lederer, D. Brunson, P. Ivey, etc try to watch the way they handle themselves and emulate it.

-Mike

I apologize if the spelling was a bit off on a few words.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Manners and Etiquette at TV tourneys and online poker

I completely agree 100%, Dannenmann acted like a little child who's never played the game before. No wonder he's not a world class player like H. Lederer. I also thought Hellmuth's banter and taunting when he was at the TV table was rediculous. I did find it extremely funny when he had that funny look on his face when the others at the table asked him "what he takes" referring to his wife being a Psychiatrist and his childlike behavior.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:27 AM

I don't know. I think its this type of attitude that makes espn poker what it is. If you take a look at WPT on the travel channel, or any other poker show, it's just not quite as popular to the mass to watch. People like watching ill-mannered players. It's what gets them on tv.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:57 AM

Do you think that the reason people act like this is because of the cameras? I've never played in a major tournament so I wouldn't know. The same thing seems to go on with online poker. There have been books upon books telling us how to play AK but, not one mention of how to conduct yourself.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It amazes me seeing the immaturity of people at the WSOP and online.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me the immaturity is not that amazing, but I do find it annoying and / or somewhat interesting depending on my mood. Hell, I've been guilty of acting like an ass in a poker game countless times [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Immaturity is manifested in a million different ways in countless poker games every day (b&m, tournament, on-line, or otherwise, televised or not). It will always be that way.

Trying to modify the behavior of your average poker player is like beating your head against the wall. I've found it much more productive to look at my own faults in this regard and how to exploit similar faults in other players.