Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 11:10 AM

Default AK too aggressive?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (4.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (6.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

Regardless of opponent, is this the proper style of play? I hit nothing yet keep betting? Just making sure.

BDFD and BDSD on flop so I bet it.
6 outs for overs + 1.5 outs BDFD + .5 outs for BDSD?

For a total of 8 outs or 31.5 chance to win.

The turn gives me 4 outs for the gutshot draw, but I'm not sure sure the 6 outs for the overs can be counted as good anymore.

I'm not giving reads because my question is on general play of this hand, how would you go about it?
Old 12-30-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Re: AK too aggressive?

This is probably the right play with most opponents. You were "lucky" that your opponent didn't have the flush, as his/her betting pattern would lead one to believe that a flush draw was a possibility. After catching the A on the river, a bet is +EV even though it was the 3rd club on the board, I believe.

That being said, when head-to-head after a pre-flop raise and a bet after the flop, many aggressive types will automatically raise you after the flop (especially if they have any sort of draw), and then what do you do? Calling their raise is usually the worst choice, because the aggressive types will put you on AK or mid-range PP's at this point and will bet into you again at the turn. You'll have to re-raise or fold, and it'll be a coin-flip as to which action is better. Re-raising would effectively call their bluff (if they're bluffing) and they'll either fold or call to the river hoping to make their draw. If they're not bluffing and you re-raise, you'll lose a lot of $$$ with your AK. If you fold too often in these circumstances, it'll encourage the bullies to always bet into you in these situations because you're viewed as "weak".

The point is, you need to know your opponents. People will pick up on your betting patterns with AK, so you need to mix it up a little depending on the circumstances. With some opponents, I know that *not* betting after the flop and then betting on the turn induces more folds (because they think I'm slowplaying with a set), with other opponents, I know that if they don't hit anything on the flop, they'll automatically fold to my bet and won't try to bluff. If I don't know my opponent at all, I'll just play my AK aggressively to start, and base the rest of my decisions on their betting pattern and the board.

AK is easier to play with the pre-flop raise when you have position. If your flop doesn't hit and you're not feeling good about your chances, you can usually get a free card on 4th or 5th street when you have position on your opponents.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:50 PM

I might slow down after the call on the flop and the turn brings a Q and not bet out. I would probably check-call and hope to get the river for free and see what it brings. If the flop had brought no paint, then a Q shows up, I'd bet out on the turn.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:57 PM

I'm not sure there's many poker moves that are independent of the opponent [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Let's go through this hand. Heads up, you want to follow up your PFR with leading at the pot. Your AK is the fav here against a random hand. Still don't have anything on the turn, but you generally don't want to slow down here. You're still in pretty good shape against a random hand, although his call on the flop may indicate he has you beat, is drawing to something, or is just a calling junkie and just can't help himself [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You hit your hand on the river so obviously that's a bet too. If you didn't, well depending on the player, it's probably a bet as well, providing this person has any real ability at all to fold [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

KC
http://kingcobrapoker.com
Old 01-10-2005, 06:36 PM

I prefer check-raising heads up. Many opponents will auto-bet a heads-up pre-flop raiser if they check the flop - putting them on overcards. If you get 3-bet here, you can fold with good conscience. If it gets checked through to a blank, lead out. If a flush card comes on the turn and you are raised, you can probably fold, unless you like your K-high flush redraw.