Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 01:46 AM

Default 99: Am I insane?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

Am I a maniac for playing this hand like this? I've been in a lot of situations like this lately where villian called down and showed me (for instance) a weak ace or queen, and the recent frequency of this suggests to me that I may be getting overly aggressive with middle pocket pairs on boards with big overcards. This is one case where it worked, but I think I might have gotten lucky and scared MP1 into folding the best hand.

If he check-raised me on the turn, I'd have to fold. If he only called and checked to me on the river, I'd probably just check it through.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Re: 99: Am I insane?

Please fold the flop.

Bad play=good result in this case.

Don't expect it to happen too often.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:50 AM

What range of hands do you put MP1 on when he bets the flop?

This is not a rhetorical question. Please answer it to the best of your ability.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:01 AM

In no order: A queen, an ace, a small pocket pair, a club flush draw, or absolutely nothing. 40.91%/9.09%/22.33 but only 22 hands. He raised 66 from MP preflop before, somewhat limiting the possibility of a small pair in this case.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In no order: A queen, an ace, a small pocket pair, a club flush draw, or absolutely nothing. 40.91%/9.09%/22.33 but only 22 hands. He raised 66 from MP preflop before, somewhat limiting the possibility of a small pair in this case.

[/ QUOTE ]

A strong case can be made for using the call-call-call line here. Let him bluff his $$$ away.

Brad
Old 03-01-2005, 02:10 AM

...Yes you are insane. If MP1 was any sort of a decent player he would have some kind of hand. The only possible way you could stay in this hand would be if you were confident the man was bluffing. I mean what else could he have KJ? He'd have to be just as stubborn to lead out into that pot with a lower pp. Oh yeah, if you can't release nines here you may have found a leak in your game.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:12 AM

Had he continued to show aggression, I would've folded happily. My problem is when I run into someone who lets me merrily spew chips, calling me down and winning.

Ergo: I'm good at the "aggression" part, but not the "selective" part. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2005, 02:13 AM

22.33, is that his post flop aggression? In other words, he's been the aggressor in every one of the last 22 hands he's been involved in?

That's very aggressive, and in that case you need to call down. Like shill said, let him bluff his money away.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A strong case can be made for using the call-call-call line here. Let him bluff his $$$ away.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

This is possible with KK. With 99, I believe that your holding is too vulnerable in a multiway pot. If you're going to continue with this hand, I think raising is best here. When added into the possibility of folding a weak queen, I like a raise even more.

Rob
Old 03-01-2005, 02:18 AM

PT says: out of 24 possible postflop actions, he called exactly once. Normally he checked and folded or continued to bet and raise.