Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 08:12 PM

Default stud inspector

Hello all!

I've been playing stud for many years...probably 30 or more.

I cut my teeth in home games, Atlantic City and in Vegas. However, I have no claims to fame so there's absolutely no reason to believe what I espouse based on rings, bracelets, articles, etc.

Now I play online quite often. I've posted to various online boards since there have been online boards although I must confess, not this one very often.

I'm not going to talk about how good I am or challenge anyone...sorry, that seems to be so popular. Fact is, the longer I play, the less I know (inset obligatory response about how my post is (self-serving...gratuitous...ego-driven)...whatever...HERE!

However, I am very impressed about the level of intellectual analysis and criticism (not to mention time spent doing all that) which is spent on the wide variety and sophistication of questions and topics posed.

Keep up the good work!

(Once again I'm so sorry that I don't use the appropriate emoticons or 'white-outs' or other board fashions. It's all I can do to review my post one time for spelling and grammar)....is that how you spell 'grammar'?

Is there a point to this post????

Well, yes, and it has to do with the "Stud Inspector" product. This is not a plug!

If you don't know already, stud inspector will track dead cards for you at PP and other rooms. It also does odds generation and current hand simulations.

Now...finally...the crux of the matter...

Years ago on rec.gambling.poker, there was a thread (which I'm sure has occurred here many times as well) about the importance of being able to remember all cards seen in the current hand.

I remember that even Mike Caro chimed in at one point (on my side as I remember).

My point was that rudimentary card memory was sufficient when combined with adequate knowledge of starting and basic 4th street+ strategy knowledge in most low-to-medium limits game to permit one to be a net winner at those levels.

This, apparently, was anathema to many players who thought otherwise. Parenthetically ((())), I am excluding higher level games (20-40 and above) from this hypothesis.

Since then, I don't think my card memory abilties have changed. At my age it's hard to imagine them improving! However, as the years go by, I tend to improve my results.

I suspect that this is more the result of the explosion in poker popularity and the resulting influx of inexperienced players than anything else.

I had a chance to, however feabily, verify this hypothesis when I recently purchased and started to use the 'stud inspector' product.

What did I find? Well, young poker Paduans, I found that it almost never revealed things I didn't already know.

Once in a great while, if I need to remember if a specific inside straight-flush draw card is still alive to beat my quads, it comes in useful. Otherwise, it's usually just a tool to impress those who happen to be looking over my shoulder at the time of just how analytical and imposing a poker genius I am.

Anyways...I'm looking forward to igniting another firestorm of debate on this topic although if you're smart little fishies you probably won't rise to the bait...or de-bait...get it? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (oops that was an emoticon wasn't it)

perf
Old 02-16-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: stud inspector

I can't remember cards very well. I do better than I used to, and sometimes I'm able to remember every folded card on third street....for a while. I do remember the ones that impact my hand, and I usually have a pretty good idea about the cards that impact my opponent's hand, but if six people see fourth street and three fold, I'm just not going to remember all of them. I do form impressions about what all is gone--"a lot" of spades, etc.--and I do think I remember most of what is important. And I get by. I know some people who can remember every card every hand who I don't think are particularly strong stud players. Remembering the cards is important, but it's just one part of the equation.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:44 PM

is this program free? if so, i might want to start using it. i am terrible at remembering doorcards, but i can usually remember the ones that are really important.
im sure this would give you a slight edge, but not really a noticable win rate change or anything. also, would this be considered "cheating"? i dont think its really any worse than using pokertracker.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:28 PM

I think you are right on target for the most part.

On the high side players who don’t correctly quantify the value of their holdings are apt to be lead further astray. Furthermore they are not likely to engage in critical third level thinking that is mandatory in stud poker. Nor are they likely to correctly devine key cards or outs that are likely buried within their opponents’ holdings. This machine could cause them to play much more ridgedly.

For the down side they won’t make glaring mistakes on their draws such as playing dead ones or perhaps they will play a bit better in that arena.

A smart player I know called these things the ultimate tool for those engaged in results oriented thinking.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:52 PM

Location: NorthWest US - the part of it where there\'s no card clubs.

I've strongly suspected at least one player on Poker Stars of using some kind of software related aide for the past several months I've been playing on that site. He plays three or more low limit tables at a time. Usually seems to win. And not small amounts either. At times, at least when I first started playing on that site, he appeared to play a little crazy. And I believe some of his opponents see him as just a loose, but lucky for the time being, player. But I've grown more and more respectful of his skill. I'm now tending to believe he's very smart, very experienced, and knowledgeable about stud.. and also, like I said, uses a software aide. It's actually kind of neat to see someone that good in action. And he's not abusive of his opponents. Keeps quiet for the most part. Kind of nice to see. Most of us worry that if we multitable stud we'll miss cards that are out or won't get a feel for our oppenents play. This guy never seems to miss a step. Whether he's using the software you mention or not I don't know. But I'm willing to bet he does. Or something similar to it. Would I use it? Not sure I'm ready for it. I think to get the most out of it you still need to have the skills to be a winning player on one table on your own with no software aide. I'm not quite there yet.