Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 03:45 PM

Default bet the max (or try to suck them in) when showing a big pair on 4th?

Hi, 2nd thread for me...

Was wondering if you should always bet the max when yoou get a big pair with your 2 upcards on 4th (JJ, QQ, KK, etc.). I noticed the players I play with
almost ALWAYS
bet the $30 bet, instead of the $15 bet. I like to bet $15 and suck in my opponennt to chase with a worse hand...after all, if
they're showing 26o, don't I want them in the hand? (why encourage them to fold?).

Joe
Old 09-16-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: bet the max (or try to suck them in) when showing a big pair on 4t

I bet double. They're only going to call with draws. Many will call double bets with 4 flushes. So go ahead and bet double.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: bet the max (or try to suck them in) when showing a big pair on 4th?

really depends on what you have (quads/trips/two pair/or just the board pair) and what your opponents have. I think the general consensus is to not be cute with these hands, it tends to look suspicious if someone who just paired the door card doesn't bet the max so good players will just fold anyway.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: bet the max (or try to suck them in) when showing a big pair on 4t

It depends on what you're actually holding, what kind of strength your opponents have shown, how loose the game is, and how many people are currently in the pot. What's important, though, is not to be so predictable (bet means a set, double bet means one or two pair) that it's easy for opponents to read you. One good rule is to usually bet double, but allow for some exceptions. Sklansky covers some reasonable exceptions to always betting double in 7CSFAP.

In stud, you should usually be happy to take down the pot early unless you have a very substantial edge. If you're playing against competent opponents, the double bet with a paired door card should almost always take it down. It's also sometimes hard to judge exactly how strong multiple opponents are on 4th street. If a game is pretty loose and a lot of people are gambling, throw out that double bet with trips (and maybe even with quads).
Old 09-16-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: bet the max (or try to suck them in) when showing a big pair on 4th?

If I make a big open pair (JJ+)I double bet almost 100% of the time. You are not fooling anyone by making a small bet when you are showing AA and are giving people the chance to draw out on you.

I think the real question should be how do you play a hand like (3A)33 or (AA)33 on 4th to extract the max.