Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 11:36 AM

Default The converter\'s going open source once I figure out what that means.

Sup guys.

After not thinking about poker for 2 months, getting a job, getting real busy, and getting some really generous offers in regards to money for the converter code, I realized that I don't want to work on the converter anymore (as if that hadn't been obvious for 6 months), and that I don't want to set a precedent by selling/leasing/renting the code.

So I wanna do this non-commercial open-source kind of thing where you brilliant folks will do all the work and no one will reap the monetary rewards, and you'll all get credit for the work you put in. And some running version of it could be hosted at handconverter.com.

Can someone explain to me how this should be done?

The converter is written in my own non-CS-trained brand of perl, and I'm willing to make the whole thing available to anyone, I just have no idea what standard open-source mechanics there are that I could follow to keep this from being a giant clusterhug.

Your input is welcome. Insults will be met in kind.

I have disabled PMs.

Peter
Old 04-07-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: The converter\'s going open source once I figure out what that mean

you can host the code at a site like freshmeat.net or sourceforge.net. They have tools to upload the code, message boards, etc.

nice idea by the way
Old 04-07-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: The converter\'s going open source once I figure out what that means.

[ QUOTE ]
So I wanna do this non-commercial open-source kind of thing where you brilliant folks will do all the work and no one will reap the monetary rewards, and you'll all get credit for the work you put in.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably want to go with the GPL since you don't want anyone to profit off of your work.

For other licensing options, check this out.

SourceForge is a great place to host it.

Great idea!
Old 04-07-2005, 12:05 PM

You're the man, bison. Poker will miss you.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Insults will be met in kind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all the extra space on Gmail. also, your converter is cool.

oh wait, I was supposed to insult you. eh, maybe later
Old 04-07-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: The converter\'s going open source once I figure out what that means.

[ QUOTE ]
You probably want to go with the GPL since you don't want anyone to profit off of your work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think carefully about using GPL or any other viral license. If you like what it does, use it. But keep in mind these viral licenses prevent anyone who is a software professional from ever looking at the code. Common Public License is used by Microsoft(!) on source forge for tools they released this way (Wix).

-D
Old 04-07-2005, 02:39 PM

this is so sweet!

A my genius coding girlfriend and i (not so genius coder) started working on a local HH converter to convert long sessions into an easily readable document for review right around the time you "retired."

I wished I could get the different site/game parsing from you, but knew you would never respond to any pm.

awesome news.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But keep in mind these viral licenses prevent anyone who is a software professional from ever looking at the code.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey isn't this the wrong forum for an open source license flame war [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'm a software professional and I look at GPL code all the time, so I don't understand your statement. The GPL would prevent someone from creating a closed source version of the hand converter and making profit off of it, which I think is what the stated goal was. I don't think the Common Public License would do this.

Also, I don't have any bias toward a particular license, I was just trying to recommend something that would meet the stated goals.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
To pick a nit: The GPL in no way prevents others from profiting.

GPL in a nutshell: Any derivation of GPL'd work that is distributed must itself be GPL'd,must include source code, and must allow for the distribution of further derivations.

Nothing about the GPL prevents charging for distribution. But then again nothing prevents the receiver from giving away for free what they paid for.

I actually prefer the BSD/MIT License: "Do anything you want except: (a) claim you wrote parts you didn't, (b) sue me."
Old 04-07-2005, 02:48 PM

True, but there isn't much profit in trying to resell something you can download for free that is hosted on a freely accessible website.