Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Should I Cold Call 22 UTG?

[ QUOTE ]
What about cold calling 22 UTG?

I believe the correct answer is yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can call 2 cold with any PP as long as you believe you can make up 20 SB (or 10 BB) when you hit your set.

This often means you need about 3-4 opponents on the flop.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Should I limp 22 UTG?

First post. Here goes.

I'm inclined to agree w/Trix. Perhaps, those who have +EV with 22 might not be giving yourselves enough credit for good post flop play. Not all of us (myself included) play well enough post flop to make these hands +EV (unless we're talking some binary decision - play w/set or fold missed flop).
Old 03-28-2005, 10:09 PM

can I play?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 2s 2c (three of a kind, twos).
CO has 5s Ad (two pair, aces and fives).
Outcome: Hero wins 14.50 BB. </font>
Old 03-30-2005, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Should I Cold Call 22 UTG?

i think your sarcasm meter needs adjusting
Old 03-30-2005, 06:21 PM

Often just following this 'binary' rule will be good enough to show a profit.

Someone posted an example of betting out with a small PP on a paired board. This would be a decision you need to make depending on what range of hands you can put your opponents on, how aggressive they are, etc... I like to bet out if my PP is higher or lower than the flop. For example, if I limped with 66 and the flop comes 422, or if I limped with 33 and the flop comes 449. In either case I can easily fold to a raise since I can't beat anything but a bluff raise. 55 with a flop of 883 is more problematic because you'll often get raised by A3s or somesuch and have a decision to make.

Another example might be when you flop an OESD--especially if your card is not the low card (e.g. you limped with 33, a flop of 245 is better than 456).

As always, paying attention to your opponent helps in this decision-making process, but failing that, a set-or-fold rule is probably still not -EV