Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 09:35 AM

Default AA in BB, lots of pf action, flop set w/action, turn scary

I don't know that much of this hand is interesting (I think pretty much straight forward), just thought that the river decision was pretty interesting.

Players of consequence in the hand:

UTG - 45/5/2.3 (VPIP/PFR/AF-T) - somewhat agressive on flop w/ any draw and any pair.
SB - 35/12/3.1 - Will 3-bet/cap pf w/ any PP, overplays overcards, etc.

Party 3/6 (10 handed) <font color="blue">(Converter) </font>

Preflop:
I'm in BB w/ A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG <font color="red">raises</font>, Button calls, SB <font color="red">3-bets</font>, I <font color="red">cap</font>, UTG calls, Button folds, SB calls.

Flop: (3 players) 13 SB
A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB <font color="red">bets</font>, I <font color="red">raise</font>, UTG calls, SB <font color="red">3-bets</font>, I <font color="red">cap</font>, UTG calls

<font color="purple">With the preflop action, I can't believe I'm beat. Neither UTG or SB was CDC (even tho SB has CDC-like stats), so I didn't think that 32 was out there. I'm way ahead here.</font>

Turn: (3 players) 12.5BB

3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, I <font color="red">bet</font>, UTG <font color="red">raises</font>, SB calls, I call.

<font color="purple">Ok... I think I'm beat by UTG here. Don't know what he would have with a 2, but 76s may be there. But I got outs...</font>

River: (3 players) 18.5BB

T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, I check (knowing I'm beat), UTG <font color="red">bets $5.5 and is all-in</font>, SB calls.... I <font color="red">raise?</font>
Old 11-19-2004, 09:54 AM

Default Re: AA in BB, lots of pf action, flop set w/action, turn scary

Cmon, how can you not 3-bet the turn?
Old 11-19-2004, 10:01 AM

Hi Pete,

I see no reason to not just put UTG all-in on the turn. The river card doesn't matter here because he's not folding, you're not folding, and SB doesn't look like he's folding either.

Edit: Assuming you're behind on the turn is horribly weak-tight thinking
Old 11-19-2004, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Pete,

I see no reason to not just put UTG all-in on the turn. The river card doesn't matter here because he's not folding, you're not folding, and SB doesn't look like he's folding either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.... Unfortunately, I was involved in another hand on another table (K-high straight flush on turn w/ little action) and didn't see that UTG only had 5.5 left. If I saw that, then I'm putting UTG all in. (It would have ended up w/ the same # of bets in the pot).

But yes... 4 to a straight on board. SB and UTG loose cannons. I did believe that a hand like 22 or 67 was out there.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:18 AM

But do you think either of them are raising from UTG or 3-betting either of those hands? That seems totally outlandish. I think it's a clear error to not raise the turn. If you lost this hand, I'd be shocked.

I think it's far more likely UTG has AKs, AQs or AKo and was doing something like simply calling all the bets at the flop so that he get the both of you to bet into him on the turn, enabling him to raise.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Pete,

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.... Unfortunately, I was involved in another hand on another table (K-high straight flush on turn w/ little action) and didn't see that UTG only had 5.5 left. If I saw that, then I'm putting UTG all in. (It would have ended up w/ the same # of bets in the pot).

But yes... 4 to a straight on board. SB and UTG loose cannons. I did believe that a hand like 22 or 67 was out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

A player that raises only 5% of his hands is most likely not raising 22 or 76s UTG. SB would have done something other than CC the turn if he had a straight, not to mention he 3-bet preflop so it's very unlikely he has one either.

BTW, having not 3-bet the turn I like the river c/r.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:26 AM

Pete - say it ain't so!

Do you really think an UTG with a 5% preflop raise stat is open raising with 7-6s or a hand with a deuce?

The turn 3-bet just HAS to be made. You have the SB trapped. Plus, if by some wild stroke of bad luck you are actually behind, you have a 10-out redraw.

Serious case of seeing monsters. Of course I'm sure you'll tell me SB flipped 7-2o for the nuts. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2004, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A player that raises only 5% of his hands is most likely not raising 22 or 76s UTG. SB would have done something other than CC the turn if he had a straight, not to mention he 3-bet preflop so it's very unlikely he has one either.

BTW, having not 3-bet the turn I like the river c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the turn, I'm not too worried about SB. Thus the c/r. I figured that if I'm beat by UTG, I can at least win 1BB from SB. I did see only 5.5 at the beginning of the river round of betting. If I bet out, SB would just call. If I c/r, then I could get 1 BB out of SB.

UTG shows Q2o UTG must have been tilting (didn't notice any beats previous, but only having 7BB on table should have thrown up some flags).

SB shows A6s
Old 11-19-2004, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pete - say it ain't so!

Do you really think an UTG with a 5% preflop raise stat is open raising with 7-6s or a hand with a deuce?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... I agree I was weak... I'm picking out a nice pink dress (a nice strapless number w/ sequins). I just didn't put enough thought into the turn decision. Ugh! I suck!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:44 AM

Nah, you don't suck. It's quite easy to lose a bit of objectivity in the heat of battle. This is why I think it's best to read every single hand posted and determine what you would do before reading on. Kind of like a brain programming technique that once certain correct play patterns become ingrained, the ones where you'll be uncertain will become less frequent.