Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Do you lay this down?

Just to chime in unneccesarily:

There are three hands that beat you, one of which he could legitimately have (66). There are several hands that could make this play (QT of hearts, KJ, K6, AK).

I think I have seen set over set once in live poker that I can remember, offhand I'd say the odds are 1/64 and that's even assuming the other guy has a pocket pair to begin with. I'd have to have a great read on a player to fold bottom set, especially if he's been check raising a lot.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:18 PM

You're getting 3-1 to call with no flush or straight possibility and you want to fold?

There is no way in hell I would fold there under almost any circumstances.

-SmileyEH
Old 09-20-2004, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to lay down a set of fives in this situation then you shouldn't bother playing any pocket pair aside from qq/kk/aa. Better yet, why play any hand thats not the pure nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a damn good point [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think it's sinking in... bad fold.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:01 PM

I cannot believe this hand was folded.

You think he checkraises his set of Kings or 6's? He wants to take this pot down on the flop. Good call of the raise, and you got him right where you wanted on the turn.

On the turn, it's such an easy call because of the gigantic pot already created. 3-1 with a set and no five-card hands out and you fold to a known lag? Hmmm....
Old 09-20-2004, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I have seen set over set once in live poker that I can remember, offhand I'd say the odds are 1/64 and that's even assuming the other guy has a pocket pair to begin with. I'd have to have a great read on a player to fold bottom set, especially if he's been check raising a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting... in this cardroom it's not uncommon to see set over set. I was involved in a hand with 55 a month ago where someone else had TT, and someone else had 44, the flop came T54.

This was the first pot over $300 in about four hours of play. Bets of $100 or more don't happen very often in this game, and someone pushing $600 in one hand - I've only seen that maybe twice in all of my time in this game.

Looking back I should have reraised all in on the turn and left him with the decision. I shot myself in the foot by raising the minimum. Giving it some more thought, I think this is what happened: I figured I was going to see another check from him and planned to bet $100. When he bet $100 I didn't think long enough and raised $100 (which basically was my intent before seeing his bet). Had I taken my time here I probably would have pushed to try and take down the $280 pot right there.

[ QUOTE ]
You're getting 3-1 to call with no flush or straight possibility and you want to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't concerned about the possible straights/flushes - I put him on 66 - it's the only hand I could think he'd play this way. Of course I need to be really sure, and I thought I was about 95% sure he had it.

Again, in a cash game with deep money I should be making this call. Ten seconds after I folded I was upset at myself for making the laydown - I just needed to hear it from a few more people.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:38 PM

if a big pot like this is uncommon, then you have even more reason to raise all-in on the turn, and take it down....if he is on some kind of draw, you are giving him an easy call with only raising another $100

and ya, like everyone else has said, its all about pot odds....if you both have $2k left behind you, maybe you can consider folding....but for another 250 into a pot of ~850, you have to call, given the *wide* range of hands he could have...the only reasonable one he could have that beats you is 66...so you win in that situation often enough to make it a profitable call
Old 09-20-2004, 06:52 PM

uh, NO.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:57 PM

If there is no possible str8 or flush, your set is good 97% of the time. Never fold a set here. Even when i flop a set on a 3 flush board, i like to get all my money in on the flop. People will call w/ worse hands and draws, and even if they have the flush, its like 1.9:1 or something that u fill.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:39 AM

as others have said this is a bad fold, you are completely pot committed after you make it 200. next time you should raise more. with a set, you have to be very sure you are badly beaten and have plenty of money left (like in this situation if you and your opponent both had 1k left), then you might *think* about folding.

--turnipmonster
Old 09-21-2004, 08:55 AM

this fold is beyond bad... this is like folding aces pre-flop... against a loose player this is king-jack almost every time... i dont know what it is but loose mid limit players love K-J... they love it. this post is not constructive at all... i just couldnt help myself... stop playing 55 if youre not comfortable with bottom set. jesus.