Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Burrito cart tipping dilemma

[ QUOTE ]
throw the guy and extra buck every now and then.

[/ QUOTE ]

the simple question is, why? make me a burrito and charge me for it. end of transaction.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Since this is a burrito cart, the people you're tipping are the owners. So what's the point? I'd happily pay $5 for a burrito if they decided to charge that much. All the money is going to the same people anyway, so what does tipping accomplish?

[/ QUOTE ]

It gets him and extra $1.

If we're talking about tipping employees, that's another story. Don't tip this guy. Its a sympathy ploy that apparently nets him and extra 25$ on numerous sales.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:26 PM

So are you opposed to tipping in general? Do you have the same attitude towards waiters? "Bring me my food and charge me for it. End of transaction." Your barber? "Cut my hair and charge me for it..." etc.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get why every time a tipping thread comes up, people are so dead set against throwing a buck or two to a guy who does you a service.

You don't have to tip him 20% every time you go, I'll admit that that seems more than neessary, but if you go there a lot and the burritos are decent, throw the guy and extra buck every now and then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not dead set against tipping people who provide a service. I am dead set against tipping someone just because they put a tip jar out, which happens quite a bit.

If you got a good reason to tip someone, tip away. However, if you don't have a good reason to tip, don't do it. Many people tip just because they think they are supposed too, which is just silly.

In this case, the OP listed several reasons why not to tip, and no real reasons why he should.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So are you opposed to tipping in general? Do you have the same attitude towards waiters? "Bring me my food and charge me for it. End of transaction." Your barber? "Cut my hair and charge me for it..." etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i am opposed to tipping in general. in my perfectly logical fantasy world, there would be no tipping. simply charge me more. the whole tipping system is a joke.

i tip in restaurants because i feel like i'm supposed to. what a poor system.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i am opposed to tipping in general. in my perfectly logical fantasy world, there would be no tipping. simply charge me more. the whole tipping system is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, but it isn't changing anytime soon, so I tip.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, but it isn't changing anytime soon, so I tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

i do too, and tip well. i just know someone will appear to call me a cheap bastard though.. funny.

anyway let me just clarify my philosophy. i tip in restaurants because their wages are generally very small, since tipping is expected. i would never tip a guy with a burrito cart, i would never tip at dunkin donuts, starbucks, or any of that crap. i do tip at the barber on the rare occasion i go there, but i only do it because that's what you're "supposed to do".. again.. what a sad system. i tip cab drivers.. this one i am most pissed off at. why not just bump the fare a little? when i get out am i supposed to say, "great driving chap! here's some extra money for your excellent service!"?

hmm.. who else do i tip.. delivery guys...i think that's it.. oh, poker dealers, but again.. their hourly wages are generally small because their bosses know they will be tipped.. so i have to play the game. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this analogy is flawed.

Waiters, hairdressers, etc... are generally employees, not the owners of their respective businesses. You're tipping them for their service; not randomly adding dollars to the base cost of the service. They also usually don't make a lot and count on tips to survive.

If the burrito guy delivered, that would be another story and would obviously require tipping.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Waiters, hairdressers, etc... are generally employees, not the owners of their respective businesses. You're tipping them for their service; not randomly adding dollars to the base cost of the service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. Tip the employees.

Or just get society to pay them better. Then they won't need the tips to survive.

Apparently p*ker dealers (a similar question?) in Australia laugh when Americans tip them, because they're actually paid a good wage.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:45 PM

That post of mine wasn't directed at you. It was directed at something Daryn said. Anyway, I'm a very liberal tipper, and think that it's right to tip a lot of people (and those people I tip, I usually overtip), and I would probably tip your burrito cart guy.

Also, I realize that the burrito cart guy owns the thing, but I highly doubt that he's getting rich off of it. I think that tipping originated as a way to show monetary appreciation to people who otherwise aren't paid well, and I think that your burrito cart guy is probably going to fall into that category. Also, before you go off about "Then he should raise prices," I'm confident that if he raised his prices, his business would go down and he would end up making less money, which I'm sure is why he's selling the $4 burritos to begin with.