Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 01:57 PM

Default Bankroll to move up... how many BBs do you require

I am a solid winning player at 2/4, but would like to move up. (I have played a fair amount of Party 3/6 and some Party 5/10 before. I was a winner at 3/6 but a loser at 5/10. I believe my game has since improved.) Three months ago I decided to back off, go back to 2/4 and basics, and build my bankroll. This has been quite easy to do, although of course it is a grind. I am currently bankrolled for 1450 BBs at 2/4, and about 960 BBs for 3/6. So what do you think? Time to go for it? What's holding you back from moving up?
Old 11-19-2004, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Bankroll to move up... how many BBs do you require

960BB for 3/6, go for it, that's a lot. If you are uncomfortable set a stop limit so you can move back down if you hit a bad streak.

-Sent
Old 11-19-2004, 02:03 PM

yeah, take a swing, thats a big bankroll. if you really think you've significantly improved, give 5-10 a shot again
Old 11-19-2004, 02:04 PM

It's been said a number of time on this forum, if you're a winner at 2/4, you shouldn't have a problem with 3/6. With 960BB, assuming it's all in your poker accounts, I'd withdraw 300BB (do whatever you liek with it) and start playing 3/6 with ~650BB, should be plenty.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:07 PM

Default A clarification

The reason I ask the question is because in my experience, bankroll improves faster than skill. If you are a winner at Level X, eventually you will have the bankroll to play at Level Y. The question is whether you have the skill commensurate to your bankroll to play at Level Y. (This was what got me into 5/10, where I got killed.) If you do not, you should just stay at the lower level. So fundamentally (despite the title of this thread), my question has less to do with bankroll, and more to do with self-assessment of your skills and psychological readiness to play at the higher level. How do you know when you are ready? Should you wait until Level X is just plain boring?
Old 11-19-2004, 03:09 PM

Default Re: A clarification

[ QUOTE ]
How do you know when you are ready?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody except you is going to be able to answer that question. You've got the bankroll to handle the variance that you might encounter as you move up, and it appears you're a winning player, so why not?

Play at whatever level you enjoy and can afford.