Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Is this a bare ace bluff or just retarded?

2 limpers, I limp with AJTT (JTs and the Ace is [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]), 1 more limper or so.

Flop comes T96 all [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

someone in EP bets 30 (1/2 pot) I raise pot, he calls.

Turn 5o

He donk bets 50, I call

River 2o

He donk bets 50, I raise pot.

On the flop I was trying to protect my hand? does that exist? Or maybe just make a smaller flush or straight fold, would they? Those ideas are contradicting, so what am I trying to do here? One thing is for certain, I'd rather play heads up than multiway, so good raise right?

Turn, I am calling to fill up. Maybe he's value betting me with a non-nut flush or the straight.

River, he doesn't have the nut, and really looks like he is scared, so who can possibly call a potsized raise, right?
Old 10-19-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Is this a bare ace bluff or just retarded?

[ QUOTE ]
2 limpers, I limp with AJTT (JTs and the Ace is [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]), 1 more limper or so.

Flop comes T96 all [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

someone in EP bets 30 (1/2 pot) I raise pot, he calls.

Turn 5o

He donk bets 50, I call

River 2o

He donk bets 50, I raise pot.

On the flop I was trying to protect my hand? does that exist? Or maybe just make a smaller flush or straight fold, would they? Those ideas are contradicting, so what am I trying to do here? One thing is for certain, I'd rather play heads up than multiway, so good raise right?

Turn, I am calling to fill up. Maybe he's value betting me with a non-nut flush or the straight.

River, he doesn't have the nut, and really looks like he is scared, so who can possibly call a potsized raise, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You must decide when you flop like this whether or not you want to represent the nut flush or not right then and then play accordingly the whole hand. I think this is a good spot to make a play for the pot, since you have a nice FH draw as backup. On the flop I might try a smallish raise and then come with the full pot on the turn. This looks like I am trying to get my opponent to call the flop then commit his whole stack on the turn. A full pot raise on the flop followed by a flat call on the turn followed by huge river bet seems like you are doing something funny to me. A strong nut hand seems to be building the pot and rarely passes an opportunity to put in some type of raise. One thing I do know, I would love to flop the nut flush against this opponent at some point.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:27 PM

i think if you want to represent the ace high you should smooth call the flop, then bet out on a nonpair turn. this will put the scare into K high much more than a flop raise.
and its probably better for more people to be in the pot, its not like you have to worry about someone outdrawing you. if you do fill up you want someone with two pair on the flop to pay you off
Old 10-19-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think if you want to represent the ace high you should smooth call the flop, then bet out on a nonpair turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, smooth call flop. He bets out with his flush and goes "Hmmm... what's he flat callign with here." Based on his play, it looks like hes going to come on the turn again, so this is where I'd put in a "Value" raise. If he pots I'd pot it back. If he bets smallish again maybe put in a substantial but less than pot-sized raise to try to "sell the nuts." If you do take this route, though, I think you have to follow up with a shove on the River. I cant see a K-high flush calling that.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:34 PM

I would raise pot on the turn I think, but this guy seems like the type that may not fold. Sometimes he has 8c7c which really sucks, especially if you fill.

I've found that people always call when I have the dry ace and fold when I have the flush.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've found that people always call when I have the dry ace and fold when I have the flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just paranoid!
Old 10-20-2005, 12:19 AM

i like just punching it again for the the full pot on fourth... pretty obvious whats going on here w/ this 50 bet... he is clearly bad, but i still think youre gonna see a fold v often... that pathetic bet is just asking for it, and you have the TTT for some equity if he makes the call...
i wouldve flatcalled the flop, and raised max on fourth FWIW, but i think your flop play is ok...
BTW/ prtect your hand against what? you only have a draw... make someone fold a straight? just glance at your chips, they will fold... noone is calling w/ a fvcking straight here ari. jesus.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:54 AM

I've found that there are certain players who will pass whichever one I have and some who will call whichever one i have so this is obviously an opponent dependent play. I have a tightish image most of the omaha games I play in so those who are paying attention are afraid to tangle with me without the nuts.

I'm getting to the point where I consider playing it strongly whichever one i have. I'm torn though as to how one should bet with each of them. Obviously when you have the nut flush you wan't them to call and the bare ace you want them to fold but maybe one should play them the same and throw in the proper frequency of bare ace bluffs so people can not play perfectly against you by passing their lower flushes.

As for the hand in question. Maybe raise the turn if opponent has the mentality of betting and folding to a raise. Otherwise call the turn. River is a tough one.
Some of my opponents make these river bets with the nuts or close to it. Raise or fold I think as most of you opponents with not be value betting lesser hands in this spot.