Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 01:34 PM

Default higher stakes EV

Hey guys,

This is my first post here. After lurking in the shadows and learning so much info I decided it was time to actively participate.

I'm going to start off with an interesting question about tight aggressive tables and staying ahead of the blinds. In my experience (which is limited), I have noticed that it is easy to get positive results at tables that are loose passive/aggressive. As long as there are 3 or 4 people in the pot, you can stand to make a lot and stay ahead of the blinds and bad beats.

But when the table becomes tight aggressive everything changes. Now there are usually only two people in the pot, and the first one in always raises. This makes not hitting your hand a big deal, as you just paid for the blinds, and this raise to get to where you are. Even if you win the pot, you have to make up for the other blinds and lost pots.

So my question is: What do you guys do when your hand misses, either as the original raiser or not, and with only one other person in the pot? Which play gives you the best EV?

Tommi
Old 08-30-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: higher stakes EV

this should be fun
Old 08-30-2005, 01:38 PM

Checkraise with your draws and lead out with your made hands.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So my question is: What do you guys do when your hand misses, either as the original raiser or not, and with only one other person in the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

um...play poker?!

it depends on a lot of things i.e. the flop, your hand, do you have position, who raised preflop, your opponent's style, previous encounters between the two of you...
Old 08-30-2005, 02:20 PM

Sorry Tommy, this question is simply too vague, and holdem and poker in general is just too complex for any of us to give you a satisfying answer here. If you want advice trying posting a hand you played and see what others think about it.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:27 PM

Since I have never flopped top pair in my entire career, I don't feel qualified to provide a legitimate response.

The only pots I ever win are through a combination of tricks and nonsense, ala Han Solo.

TSP
Old 08-30-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since I have never flopped top pair in my entire career, I don't feel qualified to provide a legitimate response.

The only pots I ever win are through a combination of tricks and nonsense, ala Han Solo.

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats a lie!! Only a stone pro could pull that off!! Wait....never mind.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:09 PM

You guys are right, we need a specific example:

You hold A[h]K[c] preflop, middle position at a 100/200 game. You raise to 200. Everyone folds except the big blind who calls. The pot is now 450. You know nothing about the big blind as you have just sat down.

Flop comes down: 3[d] 4[d] Q[h].
Big blind checks, you bet 100, big blind calls.
Flop is now: 3[d] 4[d] Q[h] 9[s].
Big blind checks... you ?

Do you check it next? Keep betting? Was the bet on the flop correct?

Tommi
Old 08-30-2005, 03:17 PM

Wow, quite an ambitious first thread you have here. You're jumping into the deep end of the pool and asking us how to swim. The best way to answer this question is to read posts in this forum where people show you exactly what they do in this situation. If you are really a long time lurker you should have seen this question answered a thousand times.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:26 PM

This is where the Fundamental Theorem of Poker comes in to play.

You just have to make better decisions than the other guy. If I make the correct decision 70% of the time and my opponent does so 60% of the time - I win.

I think the kind of game you are describing is practically non-existent today (if it ever did exist).