Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2003, 01:33 AM

Default Can you lay down AA here?

Paradise 5/10 game. This is my first hand and I post in the BB. THe hand before I posted had a $200+ pot won with a full house over the nut flush. THere is some action going on here.

EP raises, 2 cold calls and button 3 bets. I have Ac Ad and cap it. All 4 call.

*** FLOP *** : [ 9d 5h Js ]

I check intending to check-raise and thin the field. Based on what I've seen I'm not worried it will be checked around. EP bets, MP raises and LP and button both call. I 3 bet. EP caps and everyone calls.

I have no clue where I am now. i have made it pretty clear what I have and no one has folded. THere is $200 in the pot and we haven't hit the expensive streets yet.

*** TURN *** : [ 9d 5h Js ] [ 7c ]

I check. I just don't know how to play this now. EP bets, MP raises again (JJ? 99?). Finally someone folds, but the button calls 2 again and it's back to me. It would seem it will cost me $30 to get to the showdown. THere's a slim chance I'm ahead. I'f I'm behind 2 pair I have a fair number of outs. If I'm behind a set I have 2 outs, and if there's a straight out there I'm drawing dead.

What would you do??
Old 04-24-2003, 03:15 AM

Default Re: Can you lay down AA here?

hi david
you must call here without any reservation. since the EP raised in the risk of T8 is reduced and you may be up against QT or QQ, KK, and top pair. you're not in the lead now, but you likely will be if the board pairs. on the river, if you don't improve, check and fold if raised. but you must see the river, and you wouldn't mind finally spiking one with all the implied action you'll get.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:48 AM

I think that I'm just going to ride this out, I don't know what they have, and I think that at the worst I have to be drawing to some outs. I wish this hand had happened after I had a better feel for the table. I might be making a mistake, but I would feel horrible if a pair of kings, beat a pair of queens for this pot.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:11 AM

Tought spot. I know that if it were me, in the heat of the moment I would call it down, but I don't know if that's correct. Maybe someone has K-K or the other aces. It sounds like in this game it is not unreasonable that someone may be pushing the flush draw.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:34 AM

You can't go anywhere at this point, especially since you have no read. You could be up against J,A versus K,K. Too many possibilities that you beat and you have outs if your behind. You can't be very worried about the straight, although its obviously possible.

I would have bet out the flop. I wouldn't want to get tricky here and possibly give a free card. Example, button raised with A,K. You and everyone checks to the button. Button smells a check-raise so he takes a free one. Also, given the agressiveness you are just as likely to get raised anyway.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:03 PM

I 2nd what Bob T. and everyone else has said here. Pot is fat and there are too many cards that could help you out on the river to let your bullets go. This may be a case where K-K is raising Q-Q.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:06 PM

Default Results

Well as everyone said I couldn't let it go so I called. Surprisingly the EP folded and we went to the river 3 handed.

*** RIVER *** : [ 9d 5h Js 7c ] [ 4s ]

I checked and it was checked around behind me. I began to have a glimmer of hope. I showed my ROckets and they both folded!! $270 pot on my first hand. Hand History had the really agressive MP on QTo, and the poor button drawing real thin with KK.

I found it realy tricky to play this table, the (over)aggression continued, but by being very selective in my hands I managed a very nice 40bb win.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Results

Gotta love PP, eh? Only there (and SoCal, I guess) will you see such wildy overplayed hands. I think had you led out the flop and basically took control of the hand that you would have better feel for where you were.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:30 PM

Default QT did not overplay his hand on the flop

QT has an open ended straight draw on the flop. He had 4 opponents. He's getting 4-1 on an approximately 2.2-1 draw. Of course he should never have seen the flop, but postflop his agressiveness pays off on this hand in terms of EV.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Results

If I'm not mistaken, barring a fold by you, the button (with KK) is drawing 100% dead. A few hands like that a night would be enough to drive just about any poker player insane. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]