Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Bottom set coordinated board, getting scared

Interpoker $.50/1. The games were really good last night, some very loose tables, but still, this is a hand that started to get me worried.

Hero ($44.50) is dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button. 4 limpers to me and I raise to $7 (I'm trying to thin the field a little, plus I've been trying to switch up my game by raising mid-PPs and SCs when I have position).

The blinds drop out, UTG ($49.81) calls, a few MP players drop out and the CO ($43.52) calls.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG checks, CO bets $5 into a $24.50 pot. I raise to $15 (I think that I should have raise more). UTG check/raises all-in, CO calls and is all-in. Is this an auto-call?

My thinking is that against any of their holdings individually, I am either a big favorite or have at least 30% equity. However, with two people in the hand, I could easily be against TJ for the straight and KQ for top two pair and would drawing to a 9 or a running pair.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-12-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Bottom set coordinated board, getting scared

Hi PoBoy,

I'm not a big fan of the raise in the games you describe. It sounds like the sort of game where you won't be able to get someone off a weak (but better) pair post flop.

Given the lack of flush draws etc I think this is a tough spot. I think you can remove KK and QQ from their holdings.

The two you don't want to see is KQ and JT as you say, I can also see them holding KJ/KT etc and maybe Q9 if its weak enough.

If I am honest I am most worried about the CO weak lead ($5 into $25) and then call of the all-in. It screams monster.

I would have raised more on the flop ($20-$25) and left myself pot commited. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think you can fold simply due to the strength shown by the CO here but I don't like it.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:38 PM

Personally, it wasn't the CO I was worried about. I didn't feel like the CO had the straight, his play felt more like 2 pair, but it was really UTG's check/raise all-in PLUS CO's call that had me worried. If CO had dropped out, it would have been an easy call, or if UTG had dropped out and CO pushed all-in, I could have called and been happy that if I was wrong I had outs.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:39 PM

so you're saying raise to maybe $27 on the flop and if he reraises all-in, fold ? I'm just trying to follow you guys here. I haven't been in the situation yet so I want to know what to do when I am. I did have a set of a 3 4 5 board and I bet UTG. CALL and LP guy raises me so I reraise all-in and it worked out for me.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:01 PM

I dont like the preflop raise at all. I'll ignore that though.

In a game that is as loose as you say (which it must be if you got 2 callers for a 7BB raise), Im calling the all in here.

Theres a decent chance they both have KQ. In games like this one, guys will play hands like this with KJ.

You only have $20 left. Youre getting almost 6-1. Easy call for me.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:57 PM

From just the pot odds your priced in after you raised to 15. Your only a little more than 2-1 to fill up by the river. KK or QQ are the only hands you have to worry about.
UTG hand is more likely to be JT than QQ or KK. He "probably" would have RR pre-flop to protect that against 6 people. So here you call especially with two other people in.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:32 PM

Location: Chicago, IL. Born, Raised, and in Chicago, I\'ll Die.

A.) I like the preflop raise only if you have reason to believe from the climate of the table that you can isolate with this raise.

B.) KK and QQ are out of the question.

C.) JT is not being held here for $7 preflop. I think that you have to believe this and if the game's this bad, you'll get your money back in this game with people playing like this. When the donators get money, they give it all away as fast as they got it.

D.) You point out the weak bet by the better- $5 into a $24.50 pot- and you only raise to $15? But you already know that this is weak. This is your chance to get paid. Raise to at least $25 here, if not all in.

E.) You're against KQ at best. All-in. In a tourney, I might fold to a deep stack, but this is a cash game. All-in.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:48 AM

Default RESULTS

UTG shows KJo for one pair Ks.

CO shows Q9 for two pair Qs and 9s.
nd or
Should I really have been worried about this hand or was i just seeing monsters under the bed?
Old 02-13-2005, 05:00 AM

You should not be worrying about folding sets in raised pots on these types of boards in a loose game. Raising preflop is a pretty big mistake I think.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:07 AM

why is preflop raise a big mistake?

if it was family pot, I would be much more worried about TJ here.

I like preflop raise. you got it from likely a 7 or 8 way flop to a 3 way flop.

I like this move better though if you were a bit deeper stacked. with only 50, a flop bet almost commits you.