Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: $10-25 NL - two pair facing a lot of resistance

I agree, it's a tough laydown, but, if you're sure the man has a set, you almost have to. There are just too many ways you're beaten. Although the most common winning hand in no-limit is two pair (I think I read that in Phil Gordon's book) you can't fall in love with it just like you can't fall in love with aces if you feel they're beat, you played the hand well, now it's time to surrender it.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Although the most common winning hand in no-limit is two pair (I think I read that in Phil Gordon's book) you can't fall in love with it just like you can't fall in love with aces if you feel they're beat, you played the hand well, now it's time to surrender it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you realize it, but this is flawed reasoning. Two pair may be the most common winning hand over a large number of hold'em hands (probably based on all 10 players staying to the river?), but it doesn't take into account the board texture and the actions of the other players. You can't just think "oh I have two pair, I'm all-in".
Old 09-08-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Results

I can't understand why someone with so many outs would go all in on the flop. Why not just call the raise and extract more money when you make your flush/straight/straight flush? I mean, OP is obviously aggressive. Make the hand then give him an opportunity to fire again.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't understand why someone with so many outs would go all in on the flop. Why not just call the raise and extract more money when you make your flush/straight/straight flush? I mean, OP is obviously aggressive. Make the hand then give him an opportunity to fire again.

[/ QUOTE ]

because some people will lay down top 2 or a set.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:45 AM

i suck. :-(
Old 09-08-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides getting decent made hands to fold -- there were several other callers, your flush draw is not to the nuts, you really don't want to be up against another flush draw, and a reraise will shake them out.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's got a huge draw on flop; its much less huge when he misses turn and opponent sets him all in.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:01 AM

why such a weak flop raise? that's a tad under half-pot raise. 800 would be psr.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:56 AM

The opponent is a good tricky player, one of the better players at the table.

Since we hold a 9 and a 7, are we really going to fear a set that much? This is a good time to NOT fear a set so much. If the opponent is a nut-peddling rock, then this is a clear muck... but he is a tricky good player AND you hold key cards for his possible combinations. You hit this flop hard... mucking top 2 on flop vs a tricky good player is a pretty timid play...

Admittedly, I play something less than a deep stack to make this decision easier and when it gets deep, my weak-tight play clearly increases... But the right play is to get it in and rebuy if he shows 33. I am not mucking top 2 on the flop vs a non-rock. Top pair, I muck... Top 2, get it in.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:55 PM

As many said, this is an easy call.